Transfering flies between programs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Transfering flies between programs

My edius 5.0 arrived today, temporary one ran out yesterday good timing?

Question: If I want to render out of edius to a file to download to DVD arcetect or Vegas, Which one would give me the best image, or should I say the least degradation? My work flow is always to BR discs in the end.

I shoot in HDV.

dale
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Architect should open HQ files, so render out "Standard Quality" to save drive space. Now your BD should be of the same quality you edited at.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Trustee

Before you start something important, I recommend you update to 5.5 or at least 5.12.

You can download it at the grassvalley webpage in the support section.

You might find issued with avchd or mov files if you don't.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Rusty,

so if standard quality gives you regular blu ray quality, what is HQ for (Graphics?)

it has off line, on line and 16x9 fine and standard, what is that about?

I have been expirimenting but nothing decisive yet.

Dale

PS by the way your have a great first name, same as my adult son!
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Canopus HQ has two data rates, fine and standard that will result in different files sizes. I use fine as the output format to go to Vegas to maintain the absolute best quality possible since I am not going to keep the file afterwards. Be aware that you can only use Vegas 32 bit with HQ files as the HQ codec is only 32 bit. My work flow is to edit in Edius, export a HQ fine file , open in Vegas, finish off the audio editing and set markers with names, render to the Bluray preset from Vegas and then open in DVD Architect and author for Bluray. I can if I wish use the same authoring and produce an SD DVD but prefer to let TMPGenc encode from the HQ file but use the final audio from Vegas and author in DVDLab for SD DVD. IF I don't like the encode because of fine movement artifacts etc I will then use VDub to do the downconvert to SD. It's a lot longer but the best downconvert. Most of the time I am happy with TMPGenc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

ron,

this is the exact workflow that I had in mind when I recently purchased edius 5.0.

thank you.

while I have made the decision to no longer produce SD, does TMPGenc actually prodce a better rendition is SD, Vegas does a pretty solid job, particularly with non rolling shutter cameras.

Dale
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

VDUb will produce the best SD downconvert but for me TMPGenc is close enough and a lot faster and easier workflow. It is better than Vegas conversion in my mind.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Gee,

I always make my MPEG files for SD straight off the Edius timeline (5.5) and author using DVD Architect.

The DVD's blow me away, esp. when upscaled back to my sony Bravia.

Even EX 1 footage looks great without Virtual Dubb, but I have learnt to keep detail wound back on the EX's to stop excessive line twitter.

With Panasonic AVCHD footage I add sharpening and MPEG straight off timeline also for excellent results.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE