BMD cinema camera + Edius? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Major Player

BMD cinema camera + Edius?

Hi everyone...

I'm a bit in love witt the BMD cinema camera, but I'm thinking of the workflow... I guess that Edius will handel ProRes 422 native (or?), but how about the CinemaDNG?
The 2.5K RAW sounds good, but no fun if I can't edit it... what I can read, it is a open source format (?) dos that mean that Edius (or other NLE's) will read the files?

/Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: BMD cinema camera + Edius?

Good question! Surely this topic came up on the NAB show floor, since the BMD and Grass Valley booths were adjacent to each other? I spent all four days in the NAB exhibit halls but left feeling as though I didn't have enough time to see and ask about everything (but this happens to me every year).

I'm not as familiar with Edius 6 (now 6.5) as I wish I was, so I'm not sure if it will edit CinemaDNG natively...? Anyone know for certain?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
...I'm not as familiar with Edius 6 (now 6.5) as I wish I was...
you should Chris... it will save you a lot of time ;)
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Marcus,

Regarding the three formats BMD produces. I have Edius 5.5 which is 8-bit. It will handle ProRes 422 ok. I dropped a Avid DNxHD file on my timeline and it crashed. Don't know about CinemaDNG RAW as it is 12-bit and I can't find a sample on the web. Edius 6.5 is 10-bit so maybe.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Major Player

What I understand 6.0.7 also support 10-bit. That's why I thought that it will handel ProRes 422 (10-bit) without problems... But it would be interesting to know about the CinemaDNG. On BND webpage it dosen't say anything about an import program (maybe a missed it) for transcoding (or what you will do...). What I don't get is the "open source" thing about CinemaDNG (same thing about the Digital Bolex, but they say that they will produce import program).
In all the interviews it sounds like it will/is supported.. I'm no tech guy so I don't understand much about this different codecs, but I guess ProRes 422 will be good enough for most of what I'll shot.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE