alternatives to handbrake - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,003
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
A two-pass encoding does not increase the quality of the encoding, it only makes sense to use if you require a video of a given size.
Yes, it increases the quality of the encoding because, in low bitrate scenarios, the second pass helps the encoder to allocate that bandwidth more efficiently.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 292
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Yes, it increases the quality of the encoding because, in low bitrate scenarios, the second pass helps the encoder to allocate that bandwidth more efficiently.
We are talking about an upload to Vimeo, there is no point to do a 2 pass encoding for that.

It would only make sense if the video has to be a given size, for instance when it is put on a optical disk.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,003
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
We are talking about an upload to Vimeo, there is no point to do a 2 pass encoding for that. It would only make sense if the video has to be a given size, for instance when it is put on a optical disk.
Ideally, you're not uploading H.264 to Vimeo at all. I don't unless it's UHD, because I don't have a Pro account so I get into size limitations with ProRes on a Plus account.

However, that's not true. 2-pass VBR will give you better quality, especially in low bitrate situations, and is for a wide variety of solutions, not just optical disc. I don't know where you're getting this idea, but it's not true.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 292
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Ideally, you're not uploading H.264 to Vimeo at all.
Why not, there is nothing inherently wrong about H.264.

Unless you want to provide a download function for the original upload H.264 or H.265 is just fine. And also it saves bandwidth because these codecs provide both intra- and inter-frame compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I
However, that's not true. 2-pass VBR will give you better quality, especially in low bitrate situations, and is for a wide variety of solutions, not just optical disc. I don't know where you're getting this idea, but it's not true.
Feel free to do two-pass encoding sending your video to Vimeo and YouTue, I think you are wasting your time though.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #20
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,003
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Why not, there is nothing inherently wrong about H.264.
Lossy to lossy, like saving an MP3 file as a new MP3 file.

Quote:
Feel free to do two-pass encoding sending your video to Vimeo and YouTue, I think you are wasting your time though.
I get paid to deliver well-encoded content to clients, so my time is worth money.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 292
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Lossy to lossy, like saving an MP3 file as a new MP3 file.
It depends on what bitrate you select, it not inherent to the codec.

H.264 and H.265 can be encoded all the way to lossless.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,003
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
It depends on what bitrate you select, it not inherent to the codec. H.264 and H.265 can be encoded all the way to lossless.
The whole conversation on this thread is about taking an already compressed H.264 file and compressing it even more, has nothing to do with how much bitrate you can throw at H.264. In fact, the whole idea is to compress the file into a smaller file, hence where 2-pass VBR is probably a good idea if you at least want to see if you can avoid macroblocking from a (ultimately) third-generation compressed 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264.

It's also probably no more than visually lossless, and of course, you have to concur about generation loss. Taking an MP3 and saving it was a lossless WAV file doesn't make the audio lossless, even if you start at 320kps.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta/USA
Posts: 2,511
Re: alternatives to handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
A alternative for not leaving edius while you encode is the avc plugin from tmpgenc, this is also uses x264 codec and has a lot more options then the standard edius encoder.
What Noa said!!! I stayed on the fence for a while but my work was piling up and the MPEG-4 export was not only lower quality straight out of Edius, it was also very slow. Downloaded the TMPEG plugins - you have a month to test them - and immediately purchased them. In my line of work I process a ton of videos and this setup works very well even on yesterday's PCs.

Quality is much better, and it's crazy fast compared to Edius. So there, you have the best of both worlds, Edius convenience/ease/etc and x264 quality... it's really a no-brainer.
__________________
Ervin Farkas
www.AtlantaLegalVideo.com
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 06:06 AM   #24
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,132
Re: alternatives to handbrake

If on Windows and want to use the x264 library as in Handbrake but you want a more configurable GUI with more options and presets try using VidCoder. You can throw almost any master at it. ProRes, AVI, DNxHD, MXF of various flavors. It does everything Handbrake does with more options.

https://vidcoder.net/

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK


DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2019 The Digital Video Information Network