**canopus 110 for editing** at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

**canopus 110 for editing**

my church weekly video tapes the services
what happens is they send live feed from 4 cameras to video room where it is edited and recorded straight to a dvd recorder - this dvd is then sent out to be re edited - my question is would a dvd player and a canopus either 110 or 300 can be used to transfer this footage into a MAC and then re-edited using final cut pro and if so what are the steps that are required

such as in FCP would i just do what is normally done when capturing footage from tape?

and would FCP control the dvd player [fwd/rev] such as it does when using camcorder to capture footage?
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

yes, you can use a canopus a/d converter to transfer the live feed from the dvd player or mixer to a mac. Just make sure device control in FCP is set to "non-controllable device" or it won't let you capture.
I don't think FCP can/will control a DVD player, but why not record live directly to the mac instead of going to DVD first - it'll be better quality.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Ron,
Our church was doing exactly the same thing for 2+ years. The two of us actually doing the editing complained constantly about having to edit the MPEG2 capture on DVD using this forum and other sites as a reference about why you don't want to edit MPEG2.

Finally, they put in a direct capture device that records the incoming avi stream BEFORE the MPEG2 compression. They squawked at first about how huge the avi file was compared to the MPEG2 file, but we just told them to discard it after the weekly edit was complete. Life is so much better now.
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

ok i just got off phone w/the canopus sales guy and he tells me that all i need for live capture is a advc 55 or the advc 110 -

now my next questions are:
1] would splitting the signal coming out of mixer going to canopus and dvd recorder be a problem - cause i still think they will still want the dvd recorder in play?

2] what type of HD capacity should we be looking at - will have 2 internal 250GB and 300GB - and i think they have an external 300GB - services to be taped will probably be btwn 45minutes minium to 90 min max

Last edited by Ron Williams; March 15th, 2006 at 05:24 PM.
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Ron,
Our church is a PC/Adobe Premiere setup. We are using an ADS converter to record an AVI file from the mixer board output. It records at the standard 13Gb per hour and since we are a Southern Baptist church that means each service is typically 16-25Gb. ; )

I prefer to edit in Vegas, but the other gent edits on Premeire. I'm hopeful that soon we can acquire a 4 or 5 input all digital board. We are taking a serious quality penalty by coming out of our 4 XL-1s cams with S-video to an analog Panasonic mixer and then to the ADS device to convert back to digital AVI. We also come out of the board and go directly through a signal conditioner to the cable office for live broadcast, and I'm constantly amazed at how good the image on live TV considering how bad we are treating it to get there.

For your setup, the Canopus output should create an AVI in some directory which you can then copy to edit on another computer. We bought a couple of portable HDs just to transfer the raw AVI to our home editing computers.

If it was analog going from the mixer into the DVD recorder, then you should be able to split the signal if you can find the right cables. If not, just record it to Hard Drive and then if you want a full uncut version, just drop the whole thing on the timeline and render out to make a DVD. Then start over and edit as desired.
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm curious, what is the purpose of filming/editing weekly church services?
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Steve,

We have a good number of members that are shut-ins, unable to attend in person, but they want to watch the service. I wouldn't have thought we would have so many or such a loyal following locally, but we do. So we broadcast live on the local cable company and record the service while broadcasting.

We then take the recorded video that went out live Sunday mornings and edit it down to a 30 minute broadcast for a nearly-free rebroadcast on the following Saturday afternoon on an over-the-air TV station. We also keep a copy of the full broadcast on file for historical (and sometimes hysterical) purposes. Finally, we make additional DVD copies and send them to our church members deployed overseas; again I wouldn't have thought we would get so many requests, but we do.

It gives me an excuse to edit frequently even though the routine doesn't vary tremendously. Whifferdills and double-flutterbuster video special effects are mostly frowned upon, so I don't get to inject all the stuff Vegas is capable of doing that I've learned here and on the VASST site. But what are you going to do?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE