EDIUS NX with HD Expansion Kit vx Matrox RT.X2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EDIUS NX with HD Expansion Kit vs Matrox RT.X2

i"m doing research on HDV system for PC. Fristly I thought Edius NX was the only best for HDv realtime editing. BUt i just find out the new Matros RT.X2 few days ago.
I'm so confused which one makeks more advantage than another.
Rite now I only see that Matroc Rt.x2 can do better than EdiusNx:Full-resolution HD monitoring on an inexpensive flat panel display via independent DVI output.

Edius NX: http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIUSNXforHDV/index.php
MAtrox RT.X2: http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx2/home.cfm

Last edited by Trung Dau; May 24th, 2006 at 10:03 AM.
Trung Dau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Dau
Rite now I only see that Matroc Rt.x2 can do better than EdiusNx:Full-resolution HD monitoring on an inexpensive flat panel display via independent DVI output.
Edius NX (with Expansion Kit) was the first affordable HDV editing solution to offer real-time HDTV monitoring "out of the box," about a year before the RT.X2 was announced. One of the main differences between the two is that NX is designed to work with Edius software and RT.X2 is designed to work with Adobe Premiere. Premiere is a more advanced program but many Edius users prefer the latter in terms of editing efficiency, at least within the limits of what Edius can do. Also note that Edius can deliver real-time HDV editing without a special hardware card, so you could (for example) edit HDV projects on a fast laptop and then transfer them to an Edius NX workstation for the most complex compositing work. Plus Edius has an upgraded "Broadcast" version of the software which supports DVCProHD and XDCAM HD editing, something RT.X2 can't do as far as I know. The RT.X2 probably has advantages I haven't mentioned over Edius NX, but I'm not as familiar with the Matrox product so can't comment on that.

Personally I'd suggest avoiding expensive hardware-based editing solutions at this time unless you're sure that's what you need, and put some of that money into buying a more powerful computer which can run all your software faster. The latest dual-core laptops are particularly appealing for their ability to handle HD(V) editing effectively while still remaining mobile, which is much more pleasant than being tied to a bulky desktop editing workstation.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So both Edius NX and RTX2 hardware just support for realtime previewing uncompressed HD output. the sofware itself can be worked with realtime HDV editing and the hardware(edius nx or rtx2) doesn't help for realtime HDV editing(even faster or more layer) . THus We only need the sofware and powerfull computer to handle realtime HDV editing. Am I rite? Or not, pls correct me.
Trung Dau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

With Edius you can edit RT just with the software and a fast pc. The hardware, in its several forms and levels of complexity, gives you the bonus of real time wysiwyg output on an HD monitor.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Kevin Shaw Wrought.
"Plus Edius has an upgraded "Broadcast" version of the software which supports DVCProHD and XDCAM HD editing"

No Edius broadcast does not support XDCAM HD.

Just bought an F330 XDCAM HD camera and the upgrade to Edius broadcast.
I can import my MXF files to my computer ( firewire, file access mode) FAM, but no way will Edius accept the files.

So if you know a way around this, it will make my day!
Brian Bang Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I just checked the Canopus forums and one of their employees said the XDCAM HD plugin won't be ready until at least August. But it will be here eventually and should work with Edius NX, whereas the RTX2 probably won't be upgraded to support XDCAM HD.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE