'Live' Capture tests with Edius - Can't sync with P2... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Major Player

'Live' Capture tests with Edius - Can't sync with P2...

I'm goofing around today with the HVX and my laptop system which has Edius Broadcast on it.

After speaking with Barry Green at NAB, he mentioned that Edius does a nice job recording straight from the camera.

I hooked it up, and yes, indeed, Edius is recording straight from the HVX. I had some difficulty at first, as I was set at 720 24pN. I don't think it's accepting any of the native modes, but I've been able to record a number of the 720 30p clips without problem.

One problem I've noticed is, when I try to record to the P2 card (hitting the record button), it stops the capture in Edius. The record button must send some kind of trigger event to Edius that stops the capture.

My test was to see if I could use the laptop in the field (creating a long/master recording), but still recording to P2 as a backup or for whatever reason (tough to trust just one source of anything, much less a computer).

I've tried switching the 1394 settings from OFF, to BOTH, to CHAIN - does the same thing. If I set it to EXT, it doesn't kill the Edius capture, however, it won't start the P2 recording either - some kind of 'Ext Disconnect' warning pops up.

I like the camera - the workflow is a bit of a challenge, and I'm huge on backups. Would like to see if anyone has any recommendations, etc.

Thanks very much to all,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't think you can do it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri
I've tried switching the 1394 settings from OFF, to BOTH, to CHAIN - does the same thing.
Hey Shawn,

Glad to hear you like the camera!

I'm pretty sure you can only do one or the other, i.e. record to P2 OR out to firewire.

However, if you ran component out of the HVX into your system you could do it ... not much help in the field unless you want to drag around a tower, etc. but I think it's the only way to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

Oh yeah, with that PN thing when trying to record externally ... that's kept me dead in the water for some time during some studio shoots until I figured out I needed to go into non-native mode.

See ya man!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE