Why don't we like Edius? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Why don't we like Edius?

Bold title :-)

I just downloaded the 30 day trial of Edius pro 3. After watching some of the tutorial videos I made a short project. And except the cheesy GUI, I must say that I'm impressed. Colorcorrection filter and Blur is realtime on my 4.6ghz AMD X2, and smooth! Neither Vegas or PPro is this "fluid".

So what are the obvious drawbacks with edius? I can see two right away:

1. No scripting, like PPro - why can't they learn...
2. Not so widely used - small usergroup
3..... cheesy GUI, no big deal - I just don't like programs that re-invents the wheel...(iTunes being another wheel-inventor)

Advantages:

1. Fast
2. Rather cheap, even if you buy the hardware bundled version

Hit me in the head with Edius options!

// Lazze

ps. Doens ANYONE know what Edius DVX is? What is the bundled HW card? ds.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Either no one uses Edius, or all of you agree that Edius is better than PPro and Vegas :-)

//Lazze
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

LOL
Edius is indeed a powerful tool with some drawbacks (much like a fat cigar but sometimes going down the wrong hole... )

i like it for filter and colour processing due to speed. Th ecodecs are super clean and fast, near realtime and for a piece of softwre to do this, its pretty incredible. i cant stand the GUI... like liquid, it takes some getting used to and IMO its trying to be a mixture of every other NLE as opposed to being "itself"

Yes it is good, but like a good cigar, its an acquired taste
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

The DEMO version of Edius Pro shuts it self down when I import a MPEG file, can anyone confirm is this happens on a licensed version as well?

// Lazze
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

my licensed version kills itslef after 3 or so months or if i dont use it for a while.. so i cave to continueously reinstal it..

the shop unit with an SP card doesnt do this though..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd say Edius hasn't caught on because it lacks the full feature set and third-party support of more established video editing programs, plus it has one of the least standardized and non-intuitive interfaces of any Windows program ever written. Apparently they've finally gotten the message on this latter point and added standard pull-down menus in version 4, but it will still take a lot of trial and error with poor documentation to figure out how to do basic tasks in Edius.

Once you get past the interface Edius isn't bad and whips everyone else for true real-time capabilities, but then it doesn't handle well when those real-time abilities are exceeded. I use Edius for most of my video production work, but would love to have a day to sit down with the programmers and explain to them how it could be made more intuitive and efficient without changing the overall design. Maybe now that Canopus has been bought by Thomson/Grass Valley we'll see some improvements.

One of the ironies right now is that Edius apparently has *the* best support for editing footage from the Panasonic HVX200 camera, but good luck getting anyone to care about that. It's just too funky and marginalized a product to get much mainstream attention, even though it can be very handy for basic to intermediate editing. I'm looking forward to doing real-time HD editing with Edius on a dual-core laptop, but I'll probably wait for the next round of laptop processor improvements before making that leap.

Last edited by Kevin Shaw; June 6th, 2006 at 09:09 AM.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Tourist

Edius - Vegas ?

Could you please expand on the Non - intuitive gui ???

How whold you compare the Gui and the full fetures to the Vegas 6 ?

Any sites with big user base for those ???
Shai Har-Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So far Edius has not included the conventional Windows style menu bar - that will arrive with v4 due in the next month. It has a wide array of buttons - you decide which you want on the various menu bars - but some features are to be found in unexpected places. This tends to confuse at first. Some don`t like the gui at all; others seem to adapt to it quickly and without any problems. It is easier to get to grips with Edius now because Canopus has posted some very useful tutorials on their web site.

I am unfamiliar with the Vegas gui so am unable to comment on differences. Vegas has better sound editing features. Edius offers better real time performance and, I believe, the ability to edit a wider range of camera formats.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

My definition of an intuitive software program is one which allows someone who has never seen it before to figure it out with a minimum of trial and error or resorting to reading the manual. In Edius it's not obvious how to start capturing video or even find the online help file, which would be two of the first things almost anyone using the program might want to do. Once you understand how Edius works it's not bad, but that can be said for almost anything. The people who designed Edius intentionally violated several standards for how Windows software programs usually work, and what they did failed to make the program easier to use. Being different isn't always good, even if it does seem clever at the time.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Just to note, Edius is also the first (and so far only) PC-based NLE that can handle Canon's proprietary 30F and 24F frame modes from the XL H1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I like EDIUS.
I have now, for a couple of years used EDIUS software. Before I decided to go with it I have been using consumer Pinnacle software, tried Ulead and a demo of PP.
For me EDIUS was more intuitive than the above-mentioned programs and the problems I have experienced are minor.
When I used Pinnacle it was more the rule that it crashed. With EDIUS it hardly newer happen!!
I have now bought a F330 XDCAM HD camera, the mxf HD files, is not yet supported by EDIUS, they will be, in a month or so…Software only versions should be shipping this month.
To make me able to edit the HD files, from my new camera, I rushed out and bought Avid Liquid.
For me this program was not intuitive at all.. However, the worst thing, it was so slow that it nearly make me lose my mind.
Edius is fast, even with HD files, when you do some thing, it happens immediately.
In the last couple of month, I had also had the opportunity to try out Vegas6, it is, to me, completely impossible to figure out.
So what am I saying here?
We are not alike, what is easy to some people is not to other and visa versa.
EDIUS is definitely a useable program, with lots of tools build into it.
So do not let you scare of because not a lot of other people use it.
Brian Bang Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bang Jensen
I like EDIUS....EDIUS is definitely a useable program, with lots of tools build into it.
So do not let you scare of because not a lot of other people use it.
I agree Brian. i have been using Edius for a little over a year now and can't wait for v4. I have found it very easy to ease and very fast. Any program will take time getting used to. If you spend enough time using it, I'm sure that all the programs are very good in their own way. I just prefer (and have learned how to use) Edius.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm a Premiere user for a long time, but its ugly slowmotion is killing me.
I do mostly weddings so slowmo is a big deal to me.
I've been considering switching to another NLE for a while now, but just can't force myself and decide.
I am in a dillemma between Vegas and Edius.
I read Vegas had very good slowmo and speed change. (velocity envelope)
But the speed of rendering and editing multiple tracks is very important to me.
I'm also eager to make it H/W accelerated.

So the question is- How good does Edius handle slowmotion and does it have speedchange (not sure how you call it) like Vegas?

Any tips welcome...
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

Why not download the trial / demo and check out some of the tutorials?

Obviously that won't give you a taste of any hardware acceleration that
might happen with a HW card, but you can look at everything else on your list.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The download is on it's way as I write.
Just wanted to see any tips ahead as I don't have much time to test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE