Edius Broadcast New User - Basic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old January 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Edius Broadcast New User - Basic questions

Regarding SD DV capture - I have been successful setting the "In" and "Out" points and then hitting the capture button, but for multiple short captures this is a fairly slow method. Is there a way to manually capture while playing DV into the firewire port, ie hitting start and stop buttons ?

Also, I have been capturing DV via firewire using the Canopus DV codec. Is the HQ codec only for HD capture ? Thanks for the help.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
I have been capturing DV via firewire using the Canopus DV codec. Is the HQ codec only for HD capture ?
I don't think you can set Edius to capture to the HQ format directly from a DV input, but start with an HQ project and you could try it to find out. No real need to do that though, since you could drop DV clips into an HQ timeline and Edius would automatically do any effects processing in the HQ format.

Not sure about your captue question for Edius: try registering with the Canopus forums and asking there.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark:

Not sure if these steps will work in the broadcast product but they work for me in Edius 3. I don't use it often and my system is tied up right now so I can not check the actual steps but this should be close.

After selecting in and out points right click on the capture button. This leads to the batch capture settings where you can add the current in and out settings to the batch capture list. IIRC the keyboard shortcut is ctrl-b. Once done click begin or start batch capture and take a coffee break.

Check the help file for batch capture...it will lead you in the correct direction.

-Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Question on Transitions

I love Edius Broadcast, but like many others, I hate the poor documentation and minimally useful User's Guide that is included. As a beginner, I have learned how to import P2 clips, how to edit them, and how to export out to new virtual P2 cards. However, I cannot figure out how to use Transitions. My desired clips are on the timeline and have been edited. I would like to use dissolve transitions between each clip. Can someone help ?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
However, I cannot figure out how to use Transitions. My desired clips are on the timeline and have been edited. I would like to use dissolve transitions between each clip. Can someone help ?
What you need to do is go to the Effects palette, expand the transitions folder, then expand the "2D" folder and drag the Dissolve transition to where you want it to be applied. Once you have the dissolve transition in your timeline you can try dragging it to the next cut to duplicate it, or keep dragging it from the effects window.

Edius can be a terrible pain to learn depending on how quickly you figure out its secrets, but once you get the hang of it it's not bad.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Kevn. I also went to the Edius Video tutorials listed in the first part of the DVINFO section, and I have successfully gotten dissolves between my edit points within a clip, but cannot get them in between two different clips. I notice that the end of one clip has a gray triangle in the upper corner, and the beginning of the next clip has a similar triangle in the lower corner. When I drag a transition to this point, it will not "stick". Any ideas ?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Change settings.....

Mark:

The triangles indicate the beginning and end of the entire clip. If, for example you placed a 10 second clip on the timeline and then cut it in half, the first clip would have triangles at the start but not at the end and the second will have triangles at the end but not at the start.

There is a preferrence setting that allows you to have edius extend the clip when you apply a transition so that the total length of the time line does not shrink when you add a transistion.

If this setting is active then when you try to apply a transition to the begining or end of a clip Edius can not extend the clip and so it does nothing. Or in your words does not stick. This can be very frustrating.

To access the setting look in Application Settings/Timeline for "Extend clips when applying Transition/cross fade". Uncheck the option and it should allow you to place the transition.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Jolly Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell View Post
Thanks Kevn. I also went to the Edius Video tutorials listed in the first part of the DVINFO section, and I have successfully gotten dissolves between my edit points within a clip, but cannot get them in between two different clips. I notice that the end of one clip has a gray triangle in the upper corner, and the beginning of the next clip has a similar triangle in the lower corner. When I drag a transition to this point, it will not "stick". Any ideas ?

Like Randall was saying there is a setting the is under Settings/Application Settings That asks if you want to extend the clips when adding a transition.

You can un check it but be aware that the clips will overlap and the timeline will become shorter.

If you want to add transitions and have all of the clips stay where they are leave this setting checked and then make sue you have a handle on the start and end of each clip. :)

Mike
Mike Downey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE