Edius 4 to After effects and back workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Edius 4 to After effects and back workflow?

I'm editing DVCPRO HD video from AG-HVX200 camcorder in Edius 4 and everything works great. But I have to do some compositing and a few other effects in After effects 7 and I'm having a problem with Canopus codecs.

I can see both Canopus HQ and Lossless available on the system level and I assumed that I can use both codecs in other programs as well. But I can only import Lossless into After effects. After effects shows some error message when I try to import clip with HQ codec and video is just black. However Lossless works fine. Why HQ is not working in After effects?

Also problem is getting to video back to Edius from After Effects. I can render both HQ and Lossless in After Effects but when I try to open those clips in Edius video skips and Edius is reporting some error.

Now only workable solution is to export video clips from Edius in Canopus Losseless, import them into After effects and then use some other codec to render video.

Why can't I use Canopus HQ and Lossless codecs properly in After Effects 7? Thank you.
Zvonimir Miksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Works Here!

Zvonimir,

Just wanted to let you know that I can import and export Canopus HQ encoded files in and out of After Effects 7.0. So, that being said, you should be able to as well. The only problem I had that you need to check is if you have Cineform Prospect HD installed. Everytime I went to import an HQ file After Effects wanted to open it with Cineform's importer and this ended up causing problems. Finally, I just had to disable the importer everytime I wanted to load a HQ file.

Is there any way you can upload a 1-2 second file so we can try it here on our end? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Juan
Juan Oropeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Juan,

I don't have Cineform installed. I guess something else is wrong. You can download a short clip here:

www.unique-films.com/edius_out_hq_codec.avi

This is DVCPRO HD video from AG-HVX200's MXF rendered in Canopus HQ codec in Edius 4. I can't open this clip in After Effects 7. All I get is a black screen and an error message. However Lossless codec works fine from Edius to After effects but not the other way around.

Thank you for all your help.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Zvonimir,

I think I know whats going on. The file I downloaded has dimensions 960 x 720. The HQ codec does not support this. I went ahead and transcoded your file to 1280 X 720 and guess what, it worked with After effects.

I have to run right now, but I'll check back later.

Juan
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #5
New Boot

Juan,

How did you rescale a clip in Edius? Do you know why HQ codec has size limitations? Everything seems to be working with Lossless codec.

Thanks,

Zvonimir
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Zvonimir,

I ended up rescaling the file in Edius. I just opened a project with 1280 x 720 dimensions and 25p framerate. I then rendered out the file you provided. I took that file and it opened successfully in After Effects.

I can't say for sure that the HQ codec has dimensional restrictions, but it seems this is why the file will not open in After Effects. I even tried windows media player, tmpgenc, Sony Vegas, and procoder express without any success. The dimensions seem to be the only difference.

If you go to the Canopus web pages you will find information on the HQ codec. Here's the link:

http://www.canopus.com/canopus/techn...opuscodecs.php
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #7
New Boot

It works! Thanks Juan.
Zvonimir Miksic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE