Pro Tape - Thank you - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old June 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Pro-Tape Update

I started using Pro-Tape because They sponsored the XL-1 Watchdog. If they were good enough for Chris H, they were going to be good enough for me.

The first mishap I brushed off as a fluke. The second unsatisfactory order, I gave them the benefit of a doubt. Third time in a row is inexcusable.

I've left two messages with their sales department this week. Included all my pertinent information: name, order number, telephone number, brief description of my problem.

Apparently, they are much too busy to return my calls.

Sorry to sound bitter. I'm usually such a happy, easy-going fellow. But customer service is a passion of mine.

I appreciate and recognize good service, because I go to great lengths to keep my customers informed at every step of the process. Believe it or not, a 30 second phone call or a quick e-mail goes a long way in building relationships.

I also recognize indifference. That just about descibes Pro-Tape.
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Pro-Tape is here at the Entertainment Tech World show in L.A. and I will point them to this thread in person later this morning.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Pro Tape Customer Service

Eric,

First of all, let me say that I am very sorry for your experience. I will check into this matter personally and investigate why you received such poor service. That is job #1.

Chris has known our company and me for over 10 years and I think he can vouch for the fact that we are committed to customer service. You can also see that we have a 5-Star "Top Service" rating on Yahoo! Shopping so in general, our customer service is excellent. That is not to say that we don't make mistakes -- and I am particularly concerned that you received bad service not only once but 3 times in a row according to your information. That is unprecedented and I will have to find out what happened.

Lastly, I have to say that I wish you had contacted me directly before flaming us here. I can guarantee that I will be chewing on somebody about this incident and I would very much have appreciated the opportunity to rectify the situation prior to being publicly humiliated. Nevertheless, this will be addressed and should you be willing to give us another opportunity, I will personally guarantee that your experience will be drastically different in the future.

Andrew, I am also sorry for your mistake. Perhaps we can give you both a discount on your next order to help with the inconvenience.

We do make mistakes sometimes but we also do our best to rectify them. If anyone has had an unhappy experience with our company please contact me directly and I will do my best to take care of it.

Sincerely,

Craig Berlin
President

512-443-3911 x 108

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:12 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Apple Pro Video

I am pleased to announce that Pro-Tape is now an authorized Apple Pro Video Reseller. As a Mac-based company since our inception, we are committed to the platform and particularly excited to become involved as Final Cut Pro 4.0 and DVD Studio 2.0 become available. We are running specials on all products.

I am also excited to announce the addition to our staff of David Branham, Final Cut Product Champion for Apple from product inception through 3.0. We are expecially pleased to have David on staff as we design product bundles and training that are ideal for the pro video end user.

Give us a call if you're looking!

Craig

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Old July 1st, 2003, 05:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hello. Craig.

Thank you for the reply. I certainly didn't expect a reply from the president. A simple e-mail from your sales department would have been satisfactory.

It was certainly not my intent to "flame" or "humiliate" anyone in my posting. I'm sorry you took it that way. I was simply relating my personal and consistent experience with your company I am sure you can appreciate my frustration with the lack of pro-active communication from your sales force. Pro-tape's canned email order reply says in part "If there is any reason why we cannot ship your product within two business days, we will let you know." This is simply is not happening.

I don't want a discount on a future service. I want service that tells me up front if an item is out of stock, keeps me regularly updated on the status of the back-ordered product, and allows me to exercise the option of making other plans if my needs can not be met in a timely manner.

I can not physically walk in to your store and receive the personal service that Chris receives. I place my orders online and by phone, but I expect the same consideration of any of your walk-in customers.
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 01:41 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Problems with Orders

Eric,

Your frustration is understood and appreciated. My reference to any Pro Tape bashing is in regard to the statement that we "suck" and the like. Regardless, Chris can tell you that I address matters such as this personally, particularly if you have failed to get satisfaction through other channels. My actions as a buyer also tend to be to move up the chain of command when I'm not satisfied.

Believe me when I tell you that as a rule, both our online customer service and sales manager are very good about getting back to people about problems, so I'm still not sure how any of this occurred. I do not refer to Chris's experience as relating to the fact that he can walk in; rather as a matter that he knows me and can tell you that poor service and unhappy customers are simply not acceptable in my book.

I have investigated your situation somewhat.

On your first order, for a Lenmar battery which was out of stock and apparently on backorder from Lenmar, our sales manager Mike Belile acknowledges that there was a delay and getting it in but also says he informed you up front (he didn't say by phone or e-mail) that there would be an unavoidable delay.

On your second order, a standard stock item, some Fuji bulk VHS, it appears there was an unusual delay and I have not determined why. From looking at your invoice it appears you were given free shipping on the item, I'm assuming as compensation for the delay or lack of communication.

Your third order appears to be for a combination of mini DV tape, VHS and storage racks. Again, I have not yet determined why there was a delay - I know the items were out of stock but shouldn't have been for very long and I don't know why either they WERE for so long or why the backorder wasn't shipped sooner.

We did send a partial shipment for what was in stock as requested.

At any rate, I do agree that we did not measure up on at least the second and third orders in terms of having in stock common items. If you didn't receive any notice of delays, that is an even bigger problem and one that I will follow up on again. I will also be looking into the stock situation to find out how long the delay was, why it was so long and/or if our backorder notification system is not functioning properly.

Again, sorry for your experience and I trust if you give us another opportunity we will do a better job.

Regards,

Craig

Old July 25th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #22
Trustee

Craig,

Here is a suggestion that may help you. In regards to your comment about “I wish you had contacted me directly” (in reference to Eric).

By the time I am asking someone to “let me speak to your supervisor” it is usually too late – I am already an upset customer. It is the job of your guys on the front line to communicate with the customer. On-line purchasing is so impersonal it makes it even more difficult than usual for a vender to gain the loyalty of a customer. Communication is the solution. Even if it is e-mail.

Regardless of “who did what”, it sounds like there was clearly several communication issues – Between your staff and a customer and you and your staff.

For a possible solution you might consider placing a prominent link on your web page labeled Special Customer Service Comments. Openly request good and bad comments. Have your web master link it directly to your personal e-mail. What comes in may help you keep in touch with issues you were unaware of. Just a thought.

Steve
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Customer Service

Steve,

Thanks for your input.

Other than shooting for 100% accuracy (very difficult with humans), I know of no other method when someone DOES make a mistake than to go to the next level up. Obviously we try to avoid that but it does happen. I agree wholeheartedly that communication is paramount. I think our staff knows what our standards are - in this case they just didn't deliver and ultimately I have to take responsibility.

ALL online customers are invited to send feedback if they so desire. Their reply is sent directly to me so I can see how we're doing.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Craig

Old August 5th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Pro Tape - Thank you

Just wanted to say "thanks" to one of the board sponsors........

I needed a few items that I was in no hurry for, checked their website, then called them about the shipping costs (since I live in Alaska).

I received outstanding support from Jeremy in sales and George in shipping. Both of them went out of their way to help me, and shipped in a fashion that was not in their usual manner (USPS) to keep it cost effective for me.

I placed the order at almost 3pm their time on the 1st, and I came home tonight to my order sitting on my front porch (5th).

Thanks again Pro Tape, you made it work for me.....(the customer) !!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors