DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   B&H Price Increases? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/235075-b-h-price-increases.html)

Bradley Ouellette May 10th, 2009 03:20 PM

B&H Price Increases?

I have been keeping my eye on a HV30 from B&H, and in the past few weeks the price has been ever increasing, originally was 599, then 649 and now 749... Is this because new the camcorders coming out like the HV40 or because of the economy?

Christopher Drews May 10th, 2009 03:30 PM

Honestly, I'd go with a used HV-20 off of ebay. The sensor is the same and while 30p is nice, it's not worth the price difference. When I shoot the next feature, I'm going to use 3 HV-20 with HDMI live out, into Pro-Res 422. Way better than HDV and the 24p can still be extracted with Cinema Tools.

-C

Bryan Daugherty May 10th, 2009 10:40 PM

Bradley, i don't have an answer for you but I have been noticing the same thing. We have been working cost profit analysis for a job later this year and our equipment was going to come for B&H and across the board nearly everything has gone up in price from between 5% - ~14% depending on the item. I am guessing it is a result of the economy and the time of year, but it is frustrating...

Tim Brown May 11th, 2009 08:15 AM

My guess for the price increase would be the Feds easing of monetary policy that has allowed a greater number of dollars to chase the same amount of goods; also known as inflation. I'm no financial expert, but my thoughts are that prices will continue to grow as long as interest rates remain floored, so if you have a large purchase looming, you may want to pull the trigger as quickly as financially feasible.

Bryan McCullough May 11th, 2009 03:31 PM

Yeah, it's happened for me too. I've been looking at a Z7U for months now, and am finally ready to pull the trigger. Last week it jumped from $5099 to $5399.

Totally bogus.

G. Lee Gordon May 11th, 2009 03:42 PM

If you call them and quote your case they may work with you on the price.

Ethan Cooper May 11th, 2009 06:14 PM

You guys are right, after reading this thread I wandered over to their website and the HMC150 seems to have gone up a couple hundred bucks as well. Oh well, here comes the inflation.

Tripp Woelfel May 13th, 2009 06:53 PM

Actually, if there is inflation in the market it seems to be limited to this segment. Between the time I put an HF100 on my wish list and then bought it less than a week later, the price went up US$50. I thought it was an isolated case.

B&H may be adjusting their margins to deal with lower volume to keep their profits at similar levels during the economic downturn. The yen/dollar valuation may have changed unfavorably. Their sources may have raised their prices but not raised MSRP. There are far too many possibilities to make a reasonably accurate guess at this distance. Speculation, while interesting, is meaningless... unfortunately.

G. Lee Gordon May 13th, 2009 09:10 PM

Hey What's Goin On?

Here's one for ya. Bought my HFS100 for a little over a thousand. Saw an add online for around $950(same store). Went in today for the 30 day low price guarantee and the camera is listed at $1199. That was almost the price of the HFS10 when I was first looking!

Chris Soucy May 14th, 2009 01:04 AM

Hi Gents.............

No, there ain't some big conspiracy.

What there is is a major tanking of the US dollar against the Chinese yuan primarilly (what, you didn't notice there was a bit of trouble there on Wall Street? Must be living under a rock!).

Considering that the trade imbalance between the US and China should have every US citizen quaking in their boots, and that they hold so much of this debt in US dollars (which is even scarier) thank your lucky stars it isn't worse than it is.

These price rises were predicted as long ago as last August, but the general concensus here on the boards (mostly from the US contingent, interestingly) was "Nah, never happen".

Sorry guys, it's happened, and the rest of the planet is not immune.

It's happened everywhere, for anything manufactured in the Far East and it ain't finished yet.

The up side is that the more expensive it becomes, the less people buy, the less debt we incure with Japan/ China/ Malaysia/ Thailand/ Taiwan etc.

Don't blame B&H, their prices reflect what they have to pay for the goods. They have to pay more, so do you.

And I.

And everyone else here on DVinfo, unless they live in the mentioned China/ Thailand etc etc etc.

That's what's happening.

If you're in business, you put up your prices to reflect what it costs you.

If you're an amateur, well, tough, you're gonna have to save a bit more for that flash purchase.

CS

Bryan Daugherty May 14th, 2009 11:42 PM

Chris
Thanks for your perspective. I don't think anyone was implying conspiracy. I read it as more of an acknowledgment of what was happening. No need to be so agressive. B&H is a top notch vendor and I will stick with them regardless. I can also tell you that I am always lusting after something new and maintain several thousands of dollars of equipment in my wishlists year round. In my experience, the prices (regardless of economy) at B&H (and many other vendors) tend to go up through the end of spring beginning of summer and level back out around the end of the year (retail inventory clearance) and there are some great specials in the first quarter every year. This is pretty typical of retail in general but for a vendor that caters to many events professionals it really makes sense to raise your rates during the main eventing months because that is when someone needs it vs. wants it. It is good business and the economy (both local and international) makes it even harder for a quality vendor like B&H to walk the razor's edge that is retail in a suppressed economy. While, I am not thrilled about paying more for something because my capital budget couldn't take the strain earlier in the year, I don't believe it is a conspiracy or gouging, it is a quality vendor doing what they need to do to stay afloat in tough economy and adapting to rising costs of goods.

Brian Berg May 21st, 2009 09:58 AM

Bradley, Canon has some refurb HV-20's for $399. VIXIA HV20 HDV Refurbished - Canon eStore
They're selling like hotcakes though.

Chris Davis May 21st, 2009 01:54 PM

I'm assuming Canon has adjusted the wholesale price of the HV30. I was looking at buying one a month ago and several on-line retailers had them at $599. I just looked and all of them are $750 to $899, or simply don't carry it anymore.

I'm guessing there is a reduced supply since the HV40 came out, but are still selling well. The law of supply and demand dictates a higher price.