DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   BH vs. Adorama (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/475107-bh-vs-adorama.html)

Helen Oster April 3rd, 2011 07:39 AM

Re: BH vs. Adorama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1634414)
Now that I know who to ask... Why won't Adorama's Ebay store ship to Canada while the regular store will?

We'd like to, but because Ebay's feedback system enables a customer to kill a retailer's ratings if they are unhappy about shipping costs, (which are higher to Canada) we've chosen for the time being not to ship outside the US.

This is under review, but in the meantime you should be able to find the same items via the Adorama store.

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to email me directly if I can help with anything particular.

Helen Oster April 3rd, 2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 1634471)
..... Last year I wanted a Canon T2i just as they were being introduced. B&H said to keep checking for stock or just click Notify When In Stock on the web site. I then walked over to Adorama where the sales rep said that more were coming shortly. Two days later he phoned me to tell me that he had already put one aside for me. I consider that superb service for a large retailer to be that attentive to a small sale.

I'd love to know who that was, so I could share it with his manager - if you can remember.....

Ned Soltz April 4th, 2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen Oster (Post 1634803)
I'd love to know who that was, so I could share it with his manager - if you can remember.....

I'll dig up the file and let you know...

Helen Habib April 4th, 2011 05:23 PM

Both my experiences with B&H and Adorama were good. Loved going into the B&H store. With regard to Adorama, I bought my Glidecam online and they shipped to an address that shipped it to me in Trinidad and Tobago. I've had no problems at all, and now am glad to see that they're on an upward trend!!

Helen Oster April 5th, 2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

With regard to Adorama, I bought my Glidecam online and they shipped to an address that shipped it to me in Trinidad and Tobago. I've had no problems at all,
Delighted to hear it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen Habib (Post 1635325)
......am glad to see that they're on an upward trend!!

Us too; looking back at our feedback from resellerratings, in June 2005 we limped home with a miserable 3.79/10.
Today, we're right up to 9.54 / 10. Still a little way to go to a 'perfect 10', but as you say, headed in the right direction!

Michael Liebergot April 7th, 2011 03:09 PM

I have to admit, I've had great luck with both retailers.
However most of the time I find myself ordering from B&H, as they rarely are out of stock on something. And most importantly to me I generally get my shipments (regular UPS Ground shipping, just so you know) in 1-2 days.

Lately I have been getting my orders in 1 days time, which I find simply amazing. I know that B&H is in NY and I'm in DC and they're close and all. But how in the world is B&H able to process the order and get it sent out so quickly.

Henry Posner April 8th, 2011 07:44 AM

Thanks. Our shipping department manager got his Masters degree from Hogwarts. :-)

Michael Liebergot April 8th, 2011 07:56 AM

Ahh, that explains it.

So I gather UPS are no longer using trucks, but flying brooms? =)

Kirk Candlish April 8th, 2011 10:24 PM

I get really tired of site banners saying essentially 'we can't do business right now.'

I always compare the prices and I've saved money buying from Adorama many times over the last several years.

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 07:02 PM

I once complained about this on another site, my post was labeled as anti-semitic and removed despite writing my criticism as politely as possible. I don't comment on it anymore but I'd feel the same about any large business that closely aligned with any sect of religion.

That said B&H provides unmatched selection, service and price. I only buy from Adorama when I can't get it at B&H.

Kirk Candlish April 9th, 2011 09:00 PM

I wasn't referring to the religious influence. That I respect and have no problem with.

I frequently have seen banners saying 'our store is closed for X hours and we will resume business at a specified time. I'm assuming this is due to some other aspect of their business management.

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 09:22 PM

No its owned by orthodox Jewish and hire mostly ppl of that sect. They are not open for business on Saturday and any orthodox holiday, which is completely in their right just inconvenient for the rest of us. I don't mind the Saturdays, its when they shut down for 3 weeks and I really need something. I believe Adorama is also the same.

Helen Oster April 10th, 2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1637160)
.......I believe Adorama is also the same.

At Adorama we do appreciate that our closing times can be inconvenient to some of our potential customers.
Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, (although we employ many non-Jewish people during the year), because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law.

Most holidays are actually only one or two days; two are week-long holidays (not 3 weeks). We do try to minimize inconvenience to our customers, by publicizing our closing dates well in advance.
After the holiday(s) end(s), we do reopen our sales and shipping departments as soon as possible in order to deal with the inevitable backlog of orders.
We also take on additional staff in the customer service, sales and shipping departments if necessary to help reduce backlogs and speed up the service to our customers.

In this era of 24-hour commerce which seems to take for granted that we all sleep with our i-phones under our pillows and work a relentless 60 or 70 hours a week, this is a special time for us to be with family and friends.
I guess it's unusual to find that there really are still people who consider their spiritual duty to be more important than making an honest buck out of our customers at every opportunity. I receive frequent emails from customers who state that in this day and age it is comforting to know there are people around who do not place money before all else.

Many businesses in the US and elsewhere in the world force employees to work on holidays when the time is better spent with their friends and families - or just relaxing by themselves

We are grateful for the understanding of our customers that this is an important element of our owner's value system. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

Ruling Guides Orthodox Sites' Sabbath Sales - WSJ.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/te...=1&oref=slogin

Now would be a good time to remind you that next week is Passover. Our Store and offices will be closed from Monday, April 18th at 1pm thru Tuesday, April 26th. There will be website order availability April 21st from 10-5, April 22nd and April 24th from 10-3pm; all other departments will be closed.

All order placed by 4/18 12:00 PM will ship before the holiday (subject to verification delays); orders placed after 12:00 on the April 18th thru April 24th at 11.00 will be guaranteed to be delivered by Friday April 29th. *Please note, this guarantee does not apply for orders with the free shipping option selected and it excludes PayPal, BML & Google orders. Amazon order won't get this offer either. Customers will be notified of this during checkout and will be advised to use different payments method to qualify.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Pete Cofrancesco April 10th, 2011 09:06 AM

Thanks for a thorough explanation. The only time its an issue is if a piece of equipment breaks without warning and I need a quick replacement.

Btw, I have had many positive shopping experiences with Adorama in the past. And I feel Adorama has tried its best to match B&H service.

Helen Oster April 10th, 2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1637256)

Btw, I have had many positive shopping experiences with Adorama in the past. And I feel Adorama has tried its best to match B&H service.

Good to hear!