DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   BH vs. Adorama (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/475107-bh-vs-adorama.html)

Steven Davis March 18th, 2010 08:36 PM

BH vs. Adorama

I'm looking at this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644741-USA/Nikon_2185_AF_S_Nikkor_70_200mm_f_2_8G.html
And both BH and Adorama have it for the same prices. Soooooooo, am I supposed to flip a coin? Why have the same price? It reminds me of gas stations.

Adam Gold March 18th, 2010 11:26 PM

Not only is B&H a trusted sponsor here, but they have better feedback at resellerratings. So for me it's no contest.

Paul Mailath March 19th, 2010 02:34 AM

B&H for me every time, I have a running wish list that never seems to empty

Henry Posner March 19th, 2010 07:57 AM

BH vs. Adorama

Adam & Paul:
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Steven Davis March 19th, 2010 08:20 AM

I thought Adorama was a sponsor as well. My question still remains; I've talked to BH sales people before about price 'beating' heck, even by 10 bucks, I always get a flat response.

Chris Hurd March 19th, 2010 08:32 AM

Adorama does not support DV Info Net. B&H does. That should be enough to sway your decision.

Steven Davis March 19th, 2010 08:49 AM

Thanks Chris. I was really just asking a question about how camera stores market. But thanks again. My memory failed me, I thought Adorama was.

Andy Tejral March 19th, 2010 08:54 AM

No big mystery: product makers have a wholesale price and dealers have a markup. Companies of a similar size will likely have the same wholesale cost and need for profit. Best Buy counts on the convenience (and the 'knowledgable' sales staff) to justify the increased markup.

There is something of a disagreement between makers and dealers over the 'lowest advertisable price' which leads to 'add item to cart to see the discount price' thingy.

Chris Hurd March 20th, 2010 11:06 AM

Minimum Advertised Price = MAP. This is a different thing from MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). MSRP is the high end of the price range while MAP is the lowest price that a dealer can advertise, per agreement with the vendor or manufacturer. Andy's right, when you see "add item to cart to see price," that is the dealer's way of showing a price lower than MAP without actually breaking that agreement.

Henry Posner March 21st, 2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1501960)
I thought Adorama was a sponsor as well. My question still remains; I've talked to BH sales people before about price 'beating' heck, even by 10 bucks, I always get a flat response.

B&H considers each price match inquiry individually and even has a sales exec dedicated to this task. We say yes as often as possible and regret when we cannot. We consider a variety of issues including our price and theirs, who the other retailer is (and we check ressellerrsatings.com, which you should also), the total out-the-door pice including required but not included accessories, s&h and so on.

Michael B. McGee March 21st, 2010 09:52 PM

B&H hands down. their website is better and they seem to carry everything under the sun.

Hamish Reid March 22nd, 2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1503282)
B&H hands down. their website is better and they seem to carry everything under the sun.

Plus the B&H superstore on West 34th is one of those places you have to visit at least once in a lifetime :-).

I've been a happy B&H customer for years and years.

David Adamic March 24th, 2010 11:16 AM

Been buying from BH Photo for 6 years. Good prices, fast shipping, good with returns/exchanges. Only complaint I have and it's not really legit is that they take too many holidays. Wish us Christians had that many Holidays. ;)

Bill Koehler March 24th, 2010 09:03 PM

Placed another order today at B&H ...

Brett Sherman March 26th, 2010 10:03 AM

B&H is hands down better. I've ordered a few times from Adorama. One time I returned some items. They only counted one item in the box for my return credit. I had to call them numerous times to get credit for some of the other items. Some items I never did get credit for. I probably lost about $100 on the deal. A second time I ordered something from them off of eBay. The item description was wrong. They didn't refund my money after the product was returned until I called them. Will never buy from them again.