4k is just an interim resolution... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old January 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

The way camera (video and digital photo) companies are pushing megapixels, it reminds me of computer companies promoting a PC's megahertz and gigahertz in the late 1990s.

heath
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I'm getting to that point of caring more about camera latitude and features than I am with resolution. For example, does a 10 megapixel point-and-shoot consumer digital camera take a better picture, quality-wise, than a 6.1 mp Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D Super? (Of course, the shooter plays the biggest role.)

Of course not, it's apples and oranges, and resolution isn't always the key. Check out Ken Rockwell's thoughts on resolution--it can be applied to digital video and cinema.

heath
Very true, but I think it will be a long time before you can get a consumer-level camera shooting 4k... It's like the Sanyo $150 HD cameras...

When cameras were gaining in megapixels, typically the more megapixels it had, the better the camera was, True DSLRs were the ones with 6-8-10mega pixels. Only until recently have consumer cameras with high mega-pixels...

I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 ($250 point/shoot)... 6 mega-pixels... and Nikon D100 ($2000 DSLR)... 6 mega-pixels... There absolutely no comparison, and there shouldn't be.

UHD is going to be made for cinema, there will be cinema-style cameras for that resolution before it is even considered for consumer cameras.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Well, you can't say the Sanyo compares even to the V1u, though I'll take a pro shooter on the Sanyo than a wannabe with the V1u in full automatic and horrible framing.

I've seen too many times to count.

heath
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #19
Major Player

Just like my panasonic doesn't compare to the Nikon ;)

It shouldn't, they're different markets. People who are in the professional market understand the difference and that's what matters in my opinion.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #20
Major Player

umm let's see, DVD's are the majority stil. Now bluray will take a few years to catch on with everyone. Most people are learning what 1080P is, a few know of 2k,
Only filmmakers really know about 4k. Then this, i guess they decided to jump 15 years, someone must of stole the "Renders Obsolescene obsolete" slogan
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
Only filmmakers really know about 4k.
There are plenty of uses for 2k and 4k industrial cameras besides film making, which I doubt is the driving force behind development of 4k systems. There is a market in industrial and medical imaging that is willing to pay far more than a sole indie film maker on whole systems based around 12MP video-imaging systems.

4k is coming, regardless of support from film makers. And then, the next great thing.

To a manufacturer, it's all about demand and ROI. The market exists; the technology cheapens and improves, so sure as heck there'll be more options than just RED soon enough. As it stands, the RED is impressive in how it can deliver high FPS for such a high-resolution sensor. Other manufacturers will catch up and the price will go down, and all the while, higher resolution sensors will be made.

In a few years just think, it won't be uncommon for us Joes to have access to: 12MP sensor capable of 60fps, Gig-E cable to computer or portable box for control, universal/interchangeable lens mount., and high-speed storage. Voila. But why? ;)

That all said, the digital film community sees 4k as an evoluntionary step. Sony is working on all the parts in their theatre cinema 4k line: 4k camera > 4k blu-ray disc > 4k projectors. Replacing film projectors at movie theatres will be 4k.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ruffell View Post
There are plenty of uses for 2k and 4k industrial cameras besides film making, which I doubt is the driving force behind development of 4k systems. There is a market in industrial and medical imaging that is willing to pay far more than a sole indie film maker on whole systems based around 12MP video-imaging systems.

4k is coming, regardless of support from film makers. And then, the next great thing.

To a manufacturer, it's all about demand and ROI. The market exists; the technology cheapens and improves, so sure as heck there'll be more options than just RED soon enough. As it stands, the RED is impressive in how it can deliver high FPS for such a high-resolution sensor. Other manufacturers will catch up and the price will go down, and all the while, higher resolution sensors will be made.

In a few years just think, it won't be uncommon for us Joes to have access to: 12MP sensor capable of 60fps, Gig-E cable to computer or portable box for control, universal/interchangeable lens mount., and high-speed storage. Voila. But why? ;)

That all said, the digital film community sees 4k as an evoluntionary step. Sony is working on all the parts in their theatre cinema 4k line: 4k camera > 4k blu-ray disc > 4k projectors. Replacing film projectors at movie theatres will be 4k.
good points and agreed. The way technology is going, i can imagine a 4k handycam as a "consumer cam", but it'll take a few more years.

4k projection is gonna hit hard especially with sony and red coming out with 4k systems at NAB, and dont forget the 2k scarlet. Exciting times ahead indeed.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #23
New Boot

"And with the increasing pace of the expansion of technology, EVERYTHING is an intermediate solution."

lol...I think this is the greatest thing I've read in a while...I'm gonna use it to make me look wise...

:D
Chris Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #24
Trustee

Hi there Chris, I see you're in my neck of the woods, welcome to the forum.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
4k projection is gonna hit hard especially with sony and red coming out with 4k systems at NAB, and dont forget the 2k scarlet. Exciting times ahead indeed.
Where did you find out the scarlet is going to be 2k?
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stemen View Post
Where did you find out the scarlet is going to be 2k?
Red registered a Scarlet 2K domain name. It's not proof, but it's a fairly strong lead.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #27
Major Player

Clever, thanks.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM   #28
Major Player

Theres quite a few clever lads using their 1080i footage for sizing down, cropping , rotating and all the other creative things that it allows them to do when they drop a big file into a small project window.
I suppose for the forseeable future thats where the real benefits will come into play for this 2k and 4k etc.footage when dropped into the 1080 projects -
Thats the only real world application that I can see this technology benefitting me with, at any stage in the future.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM   #29
Regular Crew

That kind of pixel size for home distribution is meaningless. You'd have to have a theater sized monitor to appreciate the advantage of enhanced resolution. Even the 1080 HD doesn't give you more appreciable resolution than SD on a small screen (the kind I and many other people have at home).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema