Ultra High Def TV on bbc.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old January 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Ultra High Def TV on bbc.com

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7205338.stm

Above is a link to a news story about Ultra High Definition TV's and the like. What got my interest is around half way down it states

Currently there are only two cameras capable of recording the format.

They are extremely bulky and heavy and are capable of shooting less than 20 minutes of film each day.

To transfer just 18 minutes of video requires some 3.5 terabits of data.

Isn't the RED ONE capable of Ultra High Def? Surely these figures are wrong if that is the case? Or is the RED a different type of UHD. I'm confused.

Also if this should have been in the news section I apologise, but I wasn't really sure. Ta
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Just as there are different varieties of HD (as in 720, 1080 etc.) there are also different varieties of UHD. Your link points to NHK's implementation of 8K (7680 x 4320 pixels) while RED is 4K (4520 x 2540 pixels) but yes it's all UHD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Just as there are different varieties of HD (as in 720, 1080 etc.) there are also different varieties of UHD. Your link points to NHK's implementation of 8K (7680 x 4320 pixels) while RED is 4K (4520 x 2540 pixels) but yes it's all UHD.
Ahh, ok cheers.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's 33,177,600 pixels, isn't that getting dangerously close to 70mm film resolution, with 35mm weighing in at about 12m. Other than the naturally asymetrical nature of film grain, I think we have a contender as far as resolution goes here. It's quite amazing how fast digital is gaining ground now.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrinn Chellton View Post
That's 33,177,600 pixels, isn't that getting dangerously close to 70mm film resolution, with 35mm weighing in at about 12m. Other than the naturally asymetrical nature of film grain, I think we have a contender as far as resolution goes here. It's quite amazing how fast digital is gaining ground now.
I often shoot medium format stills on a Hasselblad with a 33MP digital back on it. The pictures are so sharp you can see a person's sole - though, they need a lot of tweaking in post to get the images looking right.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema