DAL: Anybody know anything about the Dalsa camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old August 5th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DAL: Anybody know anything about the Dalsa camera?

I quite accidentally ran across this site last week:

http://www.dalsa.com/dc/dc.asp

This appears to be quite a remarkable piece of equipment that (it says here) was previewed at NAB. Based on the information available at the site, I assume that this is designed to compete with ultra high end film cameras like Panavision and Arri.

Any thoughts?
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Major Player

hehe. That thing just looks awsome. I would love to see a demo of that or just let me demo it myself. The other nice thing is that it is ahead of its time because nothing can really capture the stream of information unless it is parked in a studio with a server sitting next to it.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't wait to see what this sucker costs !!!
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

I spent some time with it at NAB. The images that I saw were nice but a bit inconclusive...a still image on an HD LCD at full resolution (raw file), plus a somewhat compressed (HDCAM, perhaps) motion clip on a CRT. Thus a bit hard to judge the full capabilities. The still image was stunning, however.

The incorporation of a spinning mirror to allow an optical eyepiece plus the PL mount compatible with standard film lenses were great choices to dovetail into the film world. However, the body is large and awkward (making handheld and Steadicam an issue) and as Robert points out, the data storage issue is tricky although that's just a matter of time. I saw a 1-minute hard drive on top of the Viper camera (which also outputs raw data) that was an impressive size. By quadrupling that storage time, which is not a tall order, it will achieve the same run time as a standard film magazine for handheld/Steadicam work (400 ft which runs 4 minutes; the studio mags are 1000 ft/10 minutes)

The Dalsa is an interesting step in the right direction, but it is unknown if that company has the means to carry the product to maturity.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #5
Wrangler

I spent some time with it at NAB. The images that I saw were nice but a bit inconclusive...a still image on an HD LCD at full resolution (raw file), plus a somewhat compressed (HDCAM, perhaps) motion clip on a CRT. Thus a bit hard to judge the full capabilities. The still image was stunning, however.

The incorporation of a spinning mirror to allow an optical eyepiece plus the PL mount compatible with standard film lenses were great choices to dovetail into the film world. However, the body is large and awkward (making handheld and Steadicam an issue) and as Robert points out, the data storage issue is tricky although that's just a matter of time. I saw a 1-minute hard drive on top of the Viper camera (which also outputs raw data) that was an impressive size. By quadrupling that storage time, which is not a tall order, it will achieve the same run time as a standard film magazine for handheld/Steadicam work (400 ft which runs 4 minutes; the studio mags are 1000 ft/10 minutes)

The Dalsa is an interesting step in the right direction, but it is unknown if that company has the means to carry the product to maturity.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema