Need help making a DCP (in 3D!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help making a DCP (in 3D!)

Hey there folks

I have a situation where I need to make a DCP for presentation of a film on a D Cinema server. I have the film as Cineformed AVI files at 1920x1080 30p. It's actually in 3D too; so will need to make a 3D DCP.

I tried to do this about 18 months ago and found that there were no cheap or simple tools available for a desktop PC and that I had to ask a mastering lab like Technicolour to do it!

However I do recall reading that Doremi released a free tool to do this a little while back. Just looked at their website though and couldn't see any such thing.

Does anyone know of a cheap and simple way to do this? It's for a festival screening, so there's no real money involved :(

Thanks in advance

/ben
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There is a plugin for FCP on Mac (the Quvis Wraptor plugin not so cheap and not more available) but you could find some company who has it and will accept to do the transfer for you ?
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

and you can look at here
Fraunhofer IIS easyDCP_Creator
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

or the (almost) recipe to create a DCP file
"There are two Print resolutions for D-Cinema, 2k (2048x1080) and 4k (4096x2160), while most projectors are native 2k, they can downgrade and display 4k, likewise 4k projectors will be able to upcode 2k to 4k.

The image must fit inside the above resolution. The Common Theatrical Formats are for a 2K projector are 1998x1080 is a (1.85:1) Flat Print , and 2048x858 is a (2.39:1) Scope print. Scope will use the whole screen, while Flat is Pillar Boxed.

There are only two allowable frame rates 24fps and 48fps (48fps is restricted to 2k images only)

The color encoding must be in X'Y'X' color space, with 12 bit color (that's 36bits, in the MSwindow's per pixel notation!)

Once you have your image setup as above then it needs to be encoded in MJPEG200 format. Quite simply each frame is independently encoded as a JPEG2000 image file

This Video Only Stream then gets put in a MXF wrapper, and is now considered a 'Track' file

Audio is PCM (.wav format) 24-bit at 48.000 kHz or 96.000 kHz that is also put in a 'Track' file. Up to 16 Channels of audio per Track to be used concurrently. Different Langues must be in different tracks.

A Video Track, and A Audio Track ( ie only one language), get grouped together into a unit called a Reel. Tracks can be reused in multiple Reels (ie, two reels use the same video, but different audio/language tracks).

A group of Reels, linked together into a Composition (Movie, Trailer, Ad, etc). The Composition is defined in a XML document called a CPL (Composition Play List). The Reels are defined in this file too.

Every File has a UUID in its meta data. Along with the CPL, you must have a PKL file (Packing List) which is another XML doc, that lists every file's UUID, and a BASE-64 SHA-1 Hash of the file to detect any corruption or error in the file that occurs after "Production".

Now At this point you have a Movie/ad/trailer as a group of files. However this is still not enough. You have to put this on some type of media the D-Cinema can read, HardDrive, CD, DVD, etc. This dependant on the media its going on, and may have to change as you move the files around.

It is likely (except for very large Hardrives) that the file will not fit on a single CD. So you have to make another XML called a Volume Index File. It must appear on the root of the file system and be named "VOLINDEX.xml". You must have this file even if there is only one Volume.

You must also create a Asset Map, This is an XML file that lists all the files on the volume with there Real Filesystem path, The Size, any offset, and the UUID of the file, and which Volume is is on. This is what links the UUID's that the Projection system uses to the Physical files on the disk. It must be on the root of the filesystem and be named "ASSETMAP.xml".

Now you have a DCP (Digital cinema Packaging) that your Projection system should read and understand just like any other movie."
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

and if you really want the hard way
CommandLineTutorial - opencinematools - Command Line Tools DCP Tutorial - Project Hosting on Google Code

but not sure what 3d adds to the problem.
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

Doremi has only free DEMO, also You cannot make 30fps DCP as of today, no server would support this.
Your only option is 24fps stereo in 48fps stream.
Free tool you could try: opencinematools - Project Hosting on Google Code
If you can spend some then I would recommend easyDCP:Fraunhofer IIS easyDCP_Creator

Hope this helps a bit
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links Kaspar. This does look complicated though. Might be easier to find someone who already had the facility and get them to do it.

/ben
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi

Send me a mail with specifics - maybe I can help for not so much ;)

-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Kaspar

I don't have your email address, but I can tell you the film is 12 minutes 4 seconds long. I would supply Cineform AVI files at 8 bit 1920x1080; 3D so left and right eye files. The film is currently 30fps; I could convert that to 24 with twixtor fairly well if you can't also handle it.

My email is ben@redstar3D.com if you want to mail me back.

/ben
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Tourist

Hey Benjamin... were you successful in your research into low-cost DCP creation? I am at that point now too, with an invitation to screen our 3D short at a 2D festival in October. The theater is equipped with a MasterImage 3D system, but the theater folks don't know anything about how to prepare "the hard drive that gets plugged in."

I've written to MasterImage to get advice on how to prep the DCP for their system, but haven't heard back yet. And I'm concerned that any solution might be too costly for a no-budget short. But I really don't want to demonstrate 3D technology to the festival using anaglyph!

Any new thoughts or advice on where to look into low-cost DCP prep, other than above?

Thanks!
Drew
Scary Cow Productions
Drew Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Wrangler

If you check out the 3D forum here at DVi you will find a few discussions on this topic. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...ating-dcp.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema