Suggest A Cinema Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old September 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggest A Cinema Camera

Which cameras can deliver this stunnig quality and breathe-taking scenes at affordable prices as seen in the following link:
YouTube - Porsche 918 Spyder Concept Promotional Video
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Hard to say for sure as the video posted only plays at 480p maximum resolution and if 480p is all you need the Canon 5D Mk2 with appropriate lenses and mounting apparatuses will do. If you need to have it look that good at 1080p I guess you would need at least the Red One plus all the required accessories, which I can hardly say "affordable". The Red One system nevertheless seems to be the cheapest to yield that kind of look, the high frame rate capability (to get a smooth slow motion effect), and the tonality that comes very close to film. Some other digital systems shoot even better looking footage but every one of them costs much, much more.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Major Player

The Arri Alexa will give you the best bang for the buck. Great quality, very usable, simple post workflow. Pricing is around $50k or $60k, plus lenses.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That was shot on a Canon 7D. Cost: US$1500
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If I use Canon 5D Mark II with EOS 24-105mm f/4 lens and set it at Full HD, is it possible to attain this quality with this cinematic look?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
If I use Canon 5D Mark II with EOS 24-105mm f/4 lens and set it at Full HD, is it possible to attain this quality with this cinematic look?
With a few years of practice.. sure. That "cinematic look" is the combination of gear and skills. There's no "easy" button to get you there.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As mentioned, the camera is just the tool, you have to learn how to use it and then apply the imagination and creative energy.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Trustee

SI2K rig with the bells and whistles might be cheaper than a RED or Alexa. Most professionals don't accept H.264 as a professional medium of source, so I would rule out 7D/5D unless budget is a huge issue.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
Usually these cameras are used for a shallow DOF,( which also helps reduce the moire patterning artefacts when shooting video), so prime or fixed focal length lenses are normally used rather than a relatively slow (f stop wise) zooms intended for stills.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Inner Circle

F4 on a 5D is going to be very much like F1.8 on a 7D. It's pretty darn shallow.
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Pretty much in a ball park of each other, perhaps a bit more on the 5D at f4. But are people using the 5D shooting at f4 or are they tending to use wider apertures when shooting for commercials?

Certainly pulling focus would keep you busy..
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Wrangler

Overall, the folks using these cameras in the industry are shooting at higher stops (i.e. more closed down) than folks in the indie world. I myself rarely go below a 2.8 and usually deeper, especially with the 5D. I'm always fascinated when I read about people raving about their f1.4 lenses. No clue how you guys are achieving critical focus, we have a hard enough time with it at a 4.

"Most professionals don't accept H.264 as a professional medium of source"

These cameras are in use on many high-end commercials, music videos etc. and make plenty of appearances on TV shows these days. No-one loves the codec or the other issues with the cameras, but it's the flavor of the month and they are being used for many surprisingly high-end jobs (like this Porsche one) where the budget could obviously manage a more "appropriate" camera. What we see more often than not is a camera package owned by a director or producer being brought to these jobs; they get the rental and that's that.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Somehow I'm not too surprised about the ownership of the camera package.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Overall, the folks using these cameras in the industry are shooting at higher stops (i.e. more closed down) than folks in the indie world. I myself rarely go below a 2.8 and usually deeper, especially with the 5D. I'm always fascinated when I read about people raving about their f1.4 lenses. No clue how you guys are achieving critical focus, we have a hard enough time with it at a 4.
Charles...
It's called FocusLite(tm).
It's new.
It's like critical focus, only not.
Since indie folks rarely rent HD monitors to check focus, and most indie DPs don't know the numbers on the lens mean something, no one ever notices 'till post, and at that point the editor (usually the director) is too scared to say anything.
So when someone asks "you sure that shot is in focus?" You can answer, "Yeah, it's FocusLite."

I should make a rail mount FocusLite device...
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Inner Circle

EPIC!!!!

FocusLite(tm),

I'll take one for each lens please!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema