Advice on 4k camera package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old February 29th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice on 4k camera package

I've been missing in action on this forum for a while but I'm hoping that somebody here will be able to "cut to the chase" in pointing me in the right direction for a new 4K (at least) camera package totalling US$25-30K.

It looks like I might be getting a gig on a huge new Netflix nature series releasing in 2019, but my A7S/shogun combo will have some limitations (sample work in my signature) I'm happy with Canon L Lenses so it will have to have an EF mount (or able to take adapter), global shutter, at least 100fps slomo and be capable of at least Prores 422HQ even if that means through an external recorder.

Any ideas on a camera that can do ALL of these things would be appreciated, or should I wait for NAB?
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Advice on 4k camera package

How necessary is global shutter for you? First, global shutter will remove about 1.5 to 2 stops of dynamic range if you go with the Ursa Mini 4.6K. Outside of that, you're going to have to significantly increase your budget as the F55 is the only other camera I know of with a global shutter, and then the Alexa Studio series which has an mechanical shutter.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary, what about just the Ursa 4.6K, not the mini? Can the Sony F5 do it as opposed to the F55?
I think global shutter is a necessity as part of the wishlist of shots we have are desert storms and thus lightning
Old February 29th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tangey View Post
Thanks Gary, what about just the Ursa 4.6K, not the mini?
Yes, I'm pretty sure both models give you that option to switch between rolling and global at the expense of DR.

Quote:
Can the Sony F5 do it as opposed to the F55?
It can't. Only the F55 has that option. The F65 has a mechanical shutter like the Alexa Studio.
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think if I bought the plug-on recorder for the F5 I'd be ok for specs but unsure what the package cost is then.

Just looked at a video of a pre-production Ursa 4.6K mini by Bobby Hewitt. Very helpful for me as he is running identical lenses. Still wouldn't like being an early adopter but hopefully BM have spent all this time getting it right! Surely they will release before NAB this year or their announcement from last year rolls over to the next, a bit embarrassing. Here's that video link:
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tangey View Post
I think if I bought the plug-on recorder for the F5 I'd be ok for specs but unsure what the package cost is then.
Well, you don't need the plug-on recorder for the specs you have listed (that's just for raw out to the AXS media), but you can have the CBK-55D board installed (or you can just order it from somewhere like AbelCine that comes with the CBK-55D installed) and that would give you ProRes, but only in 1080.

That still would not add global shutter.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Gary, have been going through this very carefully with my tech adviser here (who I buy everything off) and we have eliminated a lot today.

We've finally come to the conclusion that the ONLY camera promised at this point with all the specs I need is the new BM Ursa 4.6k, but only the full size one as the mini will only do 60fps in 4K. Of course all of this could change at NAB in a few weeks. I will especially be watching the Chinese KineMAX 6K to see if they "go global" with that one.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema