Helping Hands from 2011 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #31
Trustee

Sent an email. Let me know if you did not get it.

-Garrett
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #32
New Boot

Crew Needed for Non-Profit Music Video in Los Angeles CA

We are putting together a music video in conjunction with a high profile artist for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. This entire venture is non-profit and everyone from the band, to the actors and crew will be donating their time, energy, and resources. Everyone involved will receive a copy of the video for their resume and proper credit wherever possible. We looking at an early March shoot schedule and will coordinate with everyone as to exact scheduling as dates/times are solidified.

We are searching for the following crew members:

Lighting Crew
Even if we need to bring a few independent lighting professionals together to make up the lighting crew that's ok, but each applicant must have their own pro-level equipment. We understand how important proper lighting is to a production and this is where we need an outstanding lighting crew to make it all happen.

Camera Crew
We are looking for people or an already established crew (preferred) who have the ability to do a multi-camera shoot using RED 4K technology. The end result must be in full 1080p/24 and look like a feature film. Beyond the cameras themselves the crew will need various types of rigging such as a crane or at minimum a very high jib, a car mount, body cam, and tracks. We don't wish to get into too much hand held where we're going to have a great performance only to find out during editing that the shot would need massive stabilization to be useable. We need this all to be shot properly in the first place and look amazing.

If you are interested in being a part of this incredible concept please send an e-mail to

management AT audiolot DOT com

including all the following information:

Name
Phone
Position applying for
Full resume
Link(s) to online reels/credits

I want to also say that we, maybe more than most, truly understand how much the crew brings to the table and wish there was a big budget so all of you could make a proper daily wage. Please understand that this is a labor of love, is for a great cause, and at no time will anyone be making any money from this video. The idea is to connect people from all over the country/world and generate tremendous awareness about the horrors of domestic abuse. The good news is that it's going to be a rather quick shoot (just a couple of days most likely) and it will be an amazing production to add to your resume and/or list of accomplishments. This is not just some "put it on YouTube and hope for the best" situation. There are major people working behind the scenes and the full force of the band's notoriety and record label/staff are all working hard to make this as successful and widely shown as possible.
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #33
Trustee

Look,

It sounds like you're doing something lovely. However, what's the point of the veiled secrecy? ("a high profile artist") It's making this sound like another of the hundreds upon hundreds of projects that sweep around the net seeking something for nothing. If you HAVE contacts and arrangements with professionals who have honestly agreed to support this - then say so in public. Say WHO is participating. What support you already have. What companies and individuals are already in play.

The big, grand pro bono project idea got it's start with people like Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, and Bono - who have (or had) the kind of connections and phone lists that can assemble an A list cast of support people to do "FIRST CLASS" pro bono work. But there's a REASON those projects got staffed and fly. Those rare people had armies of people behind them who have profited over the years from their work/leadership. None of their charity projects have relied on going out on the net in a general purpose board like this asking those who have NOT profited from relationships to merely GIVE of their time and energy.

I know this to be true because I do a lot of work for not-for-profits - some of them large national 501(c)3 organizations.

NONE of those would consider putting their projects in the hands of a producer who didn't already have LONG established working relationships with appropriate vendors. To do so puts WAY too much risk on a project crashing and burning.

I'm not questioning your motives, or your project. But the entire process of asking everyone to contribute top of the line talent, gear and effort GRATIS is something that has to be done VERY carefully and with FULL disclosure if you you don't want to set off lots of "this dude just wants top notch work for free" bells.

Just my (at this stage totally uninformed by anything but year of experience) 2 cents.

Peace.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Videographer needed in Minneapolis/St Paul

I have a potential project in Minneapolis/St Paul starting in March. It will involve approximately ten model home shoots (interior and exterior), each taking approximately one hour. I only require video in natural light - no audio or lighting needed. All footage to be HD 720p60 (preferred) or 720i60. Our rate will be $150 per home. If you might be interested, click on my name and email me the type of camera you use, and provide a link to an example of your work. I expect to receive final approval on this project by 2/25. I can be somewhat flexible on the shooting schedule.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Need HD Footage dumped to DVCPro tape

I have four :30 commercials that are in Quicktime 1080i 60, and I need to have them dumped to a DVCPro tape. I have a server that they can be downloaded from, but none of the local shops can do it.

Anyone know anybody who can get the job done?
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #36
New Boot

What's the best way to attract a Independent Film Crew?

First let me say thank you for your reply. I appreciate all insight, positive and negative.

I'm trying to put together a film crew to shoot my 2nd feature length film. I put some flyers out at some of the local film schools, I also tried craigslist (which is a complete nightmare, because flagging removes your post within minutes).

Because I'm self financed, I can only offer food+gas money.

How have you been successful building a film crew? What resources did you use? (yea, friends/family is one way, but I'm looking for people who are interested in working on a crew).

Thanks again for your response!
Sean Cloutier
Sean Cloutier's Lived In July
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #37
Slash Rules!

Craigslist/Mandy, etc. are certainly viable. Yes, the folks on there can be vicious with "unpaid" gigs, but only 'cause so many of them (including myself) are looking for paid work on there. By the way, as I understand, there are certain sections that are ONLY supposed to be for paid work. . .make sure you're not posting in those.

Anyhow, it doesn't say where you're located, but in Houston, there are several organizations dedicated to indie/no budget/etc. filmmaking, and you should see if there's something in your town. A group of enthusiastic individuals out there donating their time/gear toward making movies. Does your town have a film commission? Maybe they'd know about these groups.

If that doesn't work. . .save money 'til you can pay everyone. :-)
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #38
Major Player

Sean perhaps you can go to some local business and offer product placement in return for a certain dollar amount. You will have to make it attractive enough for the business owner to want to come on board. You can use the proceeds to pay a crew.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #39
Major Player

WEdding Cinematographer - Atlanta

I am looking for a shooter who is experienced with a DSLR and/or Panasonic HMC150 to shoot events with this season. So far, I have two dates I need help with. Please contact me via email with your gear list
and your rates. I have a 7D and 2xhmc150s, but would like to add more dslr footage if I can find someone
who knows what they are doing. Glidecam skills won't hurt either. email me at shayes@insightbb.com
We can discuss shoot dates via email.

Scott
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Grip Package rentals

Any good websites where i could rent a 1 Ton Grip Package? thanks
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #41
Slash Rules!

I'm sorry, I left out the really obvious. . .

Get real funding.

From what I understand, and please know, I've never done this and the thought terrifies me, but the "proper" way to go about it is to do all the proper research, and make a business proposal on the movie. . .this will say "my movie is like [insert title of "real" movie that made money] movie, and this movie made x dollars, and did well with this demographic, etc. etc." The idea is to show your movie is viable enough, and the possibility exists enough for it to actually make money, that investors would want to pour their money into it.

There are books on how to do this. Me? I have no idea.

So who are these investors? At our (unknown, no budget) level, they are rich people you know. Do have any sort of relationship with people with money? Do they like you? Do they like movies? Approach them as a professional (with the research/paperwork above) and ask. Again, books exist on this stuff.

NOt saying you'll succeed, but if you're at a dead end with what you're doing now, it's an option.

On the other hand, I have a friend who had a big party and invited friends and family and asked everyone to donate to his cause and raised $35,000 for his feature film. So there's that.

What it comes down to, in my personal experience, is that unfortunately the only people REALLY passionate enough about these projects, especially a feature-length piece, to see them through are the core folks. . .writer, director, etc. These are the only people invested enough in it to do it for free for a long period of time. Everyone else (crew, actors) need some serious motivation, e.g. money, a really short time commitment, etc.

Pro crew members are often even harder to get because this is their job, so your unpaid passion project is like asking them to go work on an off day for no money, vs amateur/novice/aspiring crew people who don't do it for a living and find the process new and exciting.

But sometimes you do have a whole group that's equally dedicated. . .you just have to find a way to hook up with these like minds. That's why I suggested the film clubs/organizations.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #42
Regular Crew

The short answer is that the people who like to work on a movie crews also like to get paid for it. There are, of course, hobbyists, but their experience level is generally lower, and it's frequently a case of you help me on my project, I'll help you on yours. This can work for some people, but you can end up owing a lot of favors by the time you're done.

There is some middle ground here, but it's going to take time, research, and a bit of risk perhaps.

One approach is to shoot a trailer for your project, using whatever funds you can gather, and the smallest crew necessary. Then use that trailer to raise additional funds to pay for the remainder of production, including, yes - paying the crew (or at least the more senior positions). From reaching out to friends to sites like Kickstarter and IndieGoGo, there are plenty of avenues to explore in fundraising.

A second option, that can be combined with the first - is to offer partially or fully deferred pay, that is conditional on the success of the film. Personally, I avoid these agreements - but they do offer an incentive for participation - one that costs you little to nothing upfront. To a crew, this is preferable to simply working for free. Remember, a crew working for free is basically helping you make a product that you own, and that they have no investment in, even if it becomes the next Clerks or Blair Witch Project.

Yet another option - once again, that can be used in conjunction with the former ones - dedicate a portion of your budget to bringing an experienced DP on board who can also provide superior camera, lighting, and grip gear, relative to the budget available. Assuming you have a good script and actors, sometimes young DPs can be convinced to come onboard below rate so they can add a feature to their reel and resume. With a DP and gear secured, you can advertise this when approaching potenial crew members. Crew members just getting started in the industry don't always get the chance to work with the good toys, so this can be a good way to get them on board.

And finally... offer to hire and credit people for positions they wouldn't get on a (fully) paid shoot. Give a camera Op with some lighting experience his first DP credit. Give an Electrician her first Gaffer credit. Make a Grip the Key Grip. A PA can become a Grip. And so on. There's obviously a drawback here - you risk putting people into jobs they're not prepared for. So caution is advised.

And the final warning - you can't expect the same level of efficiency or competence that you would get if you could pay real rates. Occasionally you may get lucky - but overall, things just won't go so smoothly. And that ultimately can cost you money too.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #43
Major Player

Need Tripod for tomorrow in Teaneck NJ

I have a shoot tomorrow in Teaneck NJ. I need to rent the type of Tripod that can be used with a teleprompter. The shoot is tomorrow at 11:00. Anyone?
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:21 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Re: Need studio interview in NYC

hi Bill,
did you find your shooter yet? disOrientingstageandfilm.com I'll send you my info if not.
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:27 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Re: Need Tripod for tomorrow in Teaneck NJ

my fluid head will support 17.6 lbs. heavy duty tripod. how heavy is your setup with the camera?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands