DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2011 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/470624-helping-hands-2011-a.html)

Sean Cloutier April 20th, 2011 05:45 PM

What is the best way to attract Actors for Independent Film?

I realize this board is more for the film crew, but given the vast knowledge of the members here, I thought I would give it a shot.

Let me first say thank you in advance for any and all input. Your response is greatly valued.

I held two days of open casting calls, but the turnout was dismal. I did the following, but I'm obviously missing something.

1. Created a flyer with the dates, a short description of movie, header image, etc.
2. Posted at some local acting schools and talent agencies a month before. I also posted on an open casting call website.
3. Followed up with everyone about a week before.
4. Created a character list, created shorts & posted all the info on the website.

I had two people the first night and only a few the second night.

If you guys have any ideas, thoughts, instructions, experience, I would love to hear it.

Thanks again!
Sean

Jim Nogueira April 21st, 2011 07:26 AM

Sony PMW-EX3 Camera/Operator Needed in Boston

I am looking to hire someone with a Sony PMW-EX3 (or better) XDCAM EX camera, to work with me on a two camera shoot in Boston. This will be a two day conference on May 16th and 17th. We will be recording and offloading SXS media. Time code will be synced between our two cameras. It will be a simple shoot recording training sessions. Camera one will stay on a medium close-up of the speaker and follow him/her as they move. Camera two will stay wide to capture the screen & speaker, then break off to move to the front of the room to capture handheld shots of the audience members during brief Q&A sessions.

No Sony EX1 or EX1R cameras please as I need to sync time code.

Please e-mail me at jim@jmnproductions.com with a rate for the two days. Thanks.

Tim Ducharme April 21st, 2011 12:01 PM

Portland, OR - Video job - May 2, 3 and 5.

Portland, OR
Video job, May 2, 3 and 5.

We are looking for a camera operator with a small or medium size HDV or AVCHD camera.

Ideally you will have:
- a hi-def camera with two XLR inputs that records to either SDHC or Compact Flash
- a 25’ XLR cable with a 1/4 inch adaptor to plug into the sound board
- a shotgun mic, or on-board camera mic, to capture one channel of ambient room audio
- a steady tripod
- have enough media to shoot for a full day (9am to 6pm: offloading media cards will occur throughout the day)
- live local with transportation

The video job is straightforward:
- record presentations in secondary conference track
- wide angle, locked off shot
- monitor audio with headphones
- monitor for framing and proper exposure (no panning, zooming or movement of camera)

Breakfast and lunch provided by conference
Parking paid for by conference

If interested, please send me your contact information and daily rate. Also, please send me a link to any conference/lecture/presentation work you have done.

Many thanks
Tim Ducharme
tim.ducharme @ digitalplayhouse . ca

Jawad Mir April 23rd, 2011 09:09 PM

Looking for 2nd Wedding Cinematographer in Boston

This is a 6-7 hour event in the evening of a south asian wedding. This is primarly a 2nd shooter job.

Must be expert in DSLR and have own equipment as well as experience on weddings

Please forward your half day rate along with equipment list to contact@filmstyleweddings.com

Thanks

Charles Papert April 25th, 2011 06:37 PM

Need HPX500 or equivalent for 1 day rental

I have a webisode shoot and need a 2/3" camera like the HPX500 (Sony's OK). We have money but not full rental retail, so I'm reaching out for private owners who could probably use the cash. It would be for May 3rd (next Tuesday). Send a p.m. with your package. Thanks.

Los Angeles only please--if Orange County etc., would need delivery to LA included.

c

(thanks Bill for the date correction)

Richard Camble April 28th, 2011 09:51 AM

Owner camera operator / co-directer WANTED (England)

Camera operator / co-director required for new TV series (motorbikes) for major sat/cable sports channel.
Must have own camera (Canon XF305 or at least similar spec).
To work full days on the following dates:

MAY 15
JUNE 5
JUNE 18/19 (overnight stay required)
JUNE 26
JULY 17
AUGUST 29
SEPTEMBER 3/4 (overnight stay required)
SEPTEMBER 10
SEPTEMBER 24/25 (overnight stay required)
OCTOBER 15/16 (overnight stay required)

Must have own transport to be able to get to each circuit, or be willing to travel to Sheffield M1 to get lift with crew. Looking for a creative person with a fantastic eye and a good sense of humour. Experience making MOTORBIKE, BMX, SNOWBOARD doc/films or anything cool. May suit talented student or someone wishing to break into this line of work and get some worthy credit!

Payment is £65 per day + travel ex + food + £2 commission on DVD sales that will follow the broadcast.
PM ME

Gary Nattrass April 28th, 2011 10:52 AM

Re: Owner camera operator / co-directer WANTED (England)

Hi Richard you PM is not enabled but I can assist you with this and my HPX371 camera is now fully BBC approved for HD.

My e-mail is Gary@HDProductionSolutions.com or call 07766-864486

I am based in Durham so around 90 miles from Sheffield.

Tim Ducharme May 1st, 2011 10:34 AM

Re: Portland, OR - Video job - May 2, 3 and 5.

Position filled.
Thanks to all who inquired.

Michael Gruich May 4th, 2011 09:26 AM

Re: What is the best way to attract Actors for Independent Film?

mandy.com - craigs list - myspace page

Also contact a local or nearby college for students, best to speak to a faculty member, email them a nice outline with details and gear it towards a college student.

There are a lot out there that are good and just like to work. Not sure on your budget, but we usually offer refreshments (for a short day 2-3 hours) and a meal (use the term loosely) if the shoot goes more than 4 hours.

Once you tap into the mainstream, you will find connections and regulars that will make things easier for future projects. Even in Des Moines, IA we run through 150-200 hopefuls.

* Most college students will not read anything these days that is not electronic.

Robert Turchick May 4th, 2011 07:14 PM

Well, the short answer to your question is money. If you didn't put any sort of info about the chosen actors getting paid (whether cash or points) I would guarantee that is your problem.
Times are too tough for most to commit to a project for no money.
If you want to attract actors, post the pay rates.
Also, try the talent agencies. But have them hand pick, or you hand pick who you want to see and schedule them individually. Don't rely on an agent to contact his whole roster for an open call.

Dylan Couper May 4th, 2011 09:18 PM

Actually, your problem may be your market, not your money. Unless its an area that cultivates acting talent (NY, LA, Toronto, etc...) you may have a significantly lower amount of actors per capita.

On the other hand, it may have been your notice. If you want to post it here, we'll take a look.

James Houk May 6th, 2011 07:25 AM

I agree with Dylan, seeing the copy & layout of your posted ads would help determine if the ads themselves are a limiting factor.

Gerry Curtis May 7th, 2011 01:32 PM

re: Helping Hands from 2011

Hi Everyone,

I've updated by Color Reel for 2011 with clips from "The Return" and "Savasana."

Thanks!

Gerry

digitalkilnstudios.com
savasanafilm.com

Ethan Cooper May 9th, 2011 05:57 PM

Looking to RENT

I'm wanting to rent either a Cool Lights LED-600 or a Lite Panels 1x1 in the New Orleans area from May 31st till June 4th. The idea is to be mobile so I'm also looking for the rental unit to have a battery adapter as well.

Kevin Lewis May 9th, 2011 06:29 PM

This is impressive! This seems like much more than simple color correction. Nice work!

Gerry Curtis May 10th, 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1647427)
This is impressive! This seems like much more than simple color correction. Nice work!

Thanks, Kevin!!

Gerry

Gerry Curtis
digitalkilnstudios.com
savasanafilm.com

Heath McKnight May 10th, 2011 04:31 PM

Looking for an FX artist to finish a short film

Hey everyone,

I've posted here before, and thought I'd try again. I'm trying to find a great visual FX artist who can help me finish a short film I directed a few years back. It's called Hellevator and is 100% green screen. I've gone through several FX guys, and all of them had to bail on me for one reason or another, even with me promising to pay for their services.

You can see the original FX here (opening sequence):

YouTube - mpsdigital's Channel

The short was written by David Michelinie, who wrote some legendary Iron Man and Amazing Spider-Man comic book runs, and created or co-created Rhodey, Justin Hammer, Venom and others.

Half of the movie is done, but I want to scrap the work since it's split between two artists, and things aren't matching up, especially with the blue color design the original FX guy went with. I don't like the blue.

If you're interested and can do this in a reasonable amount of time (say in 30 days), please private message me here and we'll discuss. I can pay, but my budget is very tight. Ideally, I'm looking for someone who is experienced and can get a 4 minute short done in 30 or so days, or an up-and-coming VFX artist or student looking to add to his or her reel.

It's mostly background work, but there will be a little bit of animation during a "dolly back" scene, and some animated gunfire and blood work, too. I can provide more details via email.

Thanks,

Heath

Sareesh Sudhakaran May 10th, 2011 10:06 PM

Re: Looking for an FX artist to finish a short film

Are VFX artists in India acceptable?

Michael Hutson May 12th, 2011 07:10 AM

This would be a very good place to start and also inquire about resources.....assuming that you are in TX. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Texas Film Commission, Office of the Governor Rick Perry

Here is somewhere else you may want to try.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110022665383

Heath McKnight May 12th, 2011 10:23 AM

Re: Looking for an FX artist to finish a short film

Absolutely. I'm looking for someone who has a lot of talent and can get this job done within 30 days. Please private message me here for details. Can you send me your reel, or a link?

Thanks,

Heath

ps-Sorry for the late reply--busy day for me Wednesday.

Gary Nattrass May 12th, 2011 01:51 PM

Re: Owner camera operator / co-directer WANTED (England)

Oh well another no reply so have to assume it was not a genuine advert!

Wayne Avanson May 13th, 2011 08:34 AM

Amateur theatre groups. There are some seriously good actors out there. I know, I've used them before.

John H. Lee May 15th, 2011 09:27 AM

Assistant / second or third shooter available for free - Los Angeles

I'm planning to start full time wedding video service in southern california area, and many people suggest to assist professional out there to gain a real-life experience without the charge. I agree with the advice, and would like to offer my service as an assistant or shooter in wedding for free.

I've shooted two main wedding event so far, all with 3 DSLR camera and 1 Camcorder. Audio was captured through 2 onboard shotgun mic (NTG-2 & Video Mic Pro ), one wireless mic (Sony) , Tascam DR-05 and Zoom H4n, and one small recorder. Stabilizer(Blackbird) , and Slider (Konova) was used to shoot track/ dolly shot, and used monopod and shoulder mount. I have 5DMKII, 60D, T2i and HV30, and 70-200mm 2.8L, 100mm 2.8 Macro L, 85mm 1.2 L, 50mm 1.4 (All Canon) , and 24mm 1.8, 35mm 1.4, 8-16mm 4.5-5.6 (All Sigma).

I can bring some of my gears as well, if needed.

I have to use the footage I take on the event so that I can practice editing.

Let me know if you are interested. (Email : hjlee918@yahoo.com)

Eugene Lo May 16th, 2011 06:58 PM

2nd unit DSLR wedding shooter needed in Toronto

I'm currently looking for a DSLR shooter for the upcoming wedding season in Toronto, Ontario. Experience shooting weddings with 5D/7D is a bonus along with various L series lenses. Please PM me for more info.

Ben Giles May 17th, 2011 12:13 AM

Need camera op with EOS & Lenses for fortnightly music shoot in Central London

We have just won a 6 month contract to provide a fortnightly web video package for a national UK radio station. I'm looking for a second camera operator with, preferably, their own Canon EOS DSLR, lenses and tripod.

The job is to film a high profile band doing an acoustic set of 3 or 4 tracks, it will take a couple of hours or so every fortnight and you'll need to be within easy access of London as the budget isn't huge and I wouldn't want you to spend it all on travel.

The job may also include some summer festivals, so you'll need to be happy to sleep in a tent occasionally!

I think this will suit a relative newcomer who's keen to build up a portfolio of high profile band work - however, you'll need a combination of being a "safe pair of hands" whilst demonstrating a good working and creative knowledge of lighting and cameras. I need somebody who's happy to collaborate and contribute ideas.

Please email me at ben@bengiles.co.uk if you're interested.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Elertson May 20th, 2011 08:26 PM

Wanted: Camera man for wedding - Aug. 5 Wisconsin

So a friend of mine that was suppose to run my camera at my wedding bailed on me.

I have a Canon XH-A1 and other decent camera equipment of my own. I also do my own editing, so all I am looking for is someone to operate the camera the day off. Wedding is Friday August 5th in Green Bay WI.

PM me or e-mail me at PEproductions@gmail.com if interested.

Thank you!

-Paul

Jim Stamos May 24th, 2011 07:57 PM

any ex1 wedding guys in dallas

shooting a wedding saturday in dallas,
may need a 2nd camera for ceremony at smu chapel.
email me your background/experience
jimstamos@sbcglobal.net
wedding is at 2

Jay Webster May 26th, 2011 04:12 PM

South Dakota?

Anyone have any contact info for a support crew guy around the "Rosebud" Indian Center? (South Dakota)
this is a kind of Run and Gun documentary style shoot.
Any informed recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Current shoot dates are: June 6, 7th. Possibly June 20-21. OR, 27th. 28th!
Thanks for any replies!

Ram Purad May 29th, 2011 12:11 PM

Looking for DSLR 2nd shooter for weddings on June 11th & 18th, 2011 in Toronto!

PM me or drop me a note at info@butterflysquad.com. Due to short notice, I'm looking for someone fairly experienced and fully equipped with DLSR and accessories. Experience in shooting Indian/Oriental weddings would be a plus. You can checkout our work at ButterflySquad.com Blog | Cinematic Wedding Films

If works out, will be looking to bring someone onboard as 2nd shooter on regular basis. Thank you.

Chad Whelan May 31st, 2011 05:04 PM

Wedding Videographer New Fairfield CT

I need a b roll shooter for this saturday, june 4th, 3-5pm only.

Rodrigo Gil Medina June 2nd, 2011 12:16 PM

Shooter in Monterrey, NL. México.

Busco quién me pueda grabar un restaurant ubicado en la cd de Monterrey, tomas generales de las instalaciones. Necesito que cuenten con cámara Canon DSLR Mark 5 o 7D.

Paul Elertson June 7th, 2011 10:12 AM

Re: Wanted: Camera man for wedding - Aug. 5 Wisconsin

I will also point out that you do not need to use my equipment, its just an option. So if you are in the Wisconsin area and looking for work, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kelsey Emuss June 9th, 2011 11:03 AM

Videographer NEEDED this Saturday Niagara Falls!!!

I have a client who is DESPERATE for a videographer for this Saturday in Niagara Falls Ontario Canada.

His name is Gagan and his number is 905-242-8548.

He needs someone from 2-6pm (or later) but those would be the MINIMUM hours.

Thanks!

George Kilroy June 9th, 2011 11:22 AM

Re: Videographer NEEDED this Saturday Niagara Falls!!!

It may not be a good idea to post someone's name and number on a publicly accessible forum.

Kelsey Emuss June 9th, 2011 11:27 AM

I agree! However he asked...I mean BEGGED...me to do so. It is with his permission :)

Victor Boyko June 9th, 2011 11:47 AM

please email me at boykovideography@gmail.com I can help you. I live nearby.

Gary Nattrass June 10th, 2011 11:21 AM

Line Producer for Discovery NYC

A good friend of mine is looking for a line producer based in NYC who has experience working on make over programmes.

She is Sam Burke Acting Head of Production for Discovery and her e-mail address for contact is: samanthaburke78@gmail.com

Peter Manojlovic June 15th, 2011 06:50 PM

Hey Kelsey...

Email me at pmano71 at cogeco dot ca

Henry Shephard June 16th, 2011 09:38 AM

motion designer/ videographer just moved to canada and looking for work‏

Hello, I've just immigrated to Canada and I know live in Mississauga. I am looking to find work in any area related to videography/motion design/video editing.

I'm 27 years old, Irish, and lived in London, England for the past 4 years working as a motion designer/videographer. I own a Canon DSLR and various lens, Steadycam Merlin, Manfrotto 561BHDV and im continually looking to add new and improved gear to my arsenal.

If you have work for me or have any good info about how to find this type of work in Toronto, Mississauga or the GTA please contact me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My demo reel and other examples of my work are below.
YouTube - ‪Reel 2010‬‏
(my demo reel from 2010)
YouTube - ‪Mindy & Felix‬‏
(wedding video I shot and edited last year)
Please feel free to check out my other videos on youtube.

• Technically proficient with all Adobe CS5.5 applications and Cinema 4d R12
• Born and raised in Ireland, now a permanent resident of Canada
• Talent for developing relationships and contacts in all environments
• Responsible and reliable
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn
• Hard working and self motivated

Wayne Reimer June 18th, 2011 02:39 PM

Re: motion designer/ videographer just moved to canada and looking for work‏

Henry

Welcome to Canada! You've chosen to live in perhaps the most geographically dense collection of video/video productions/ indie film makers in the country. There are literally dozens of production houses in the GTA area. I would look into

LIFT - Liaison Of Independent Film Makers Of Toronto
1137 Dupont St
Toronto, ON M6H 2A3
(416) 588-6444

Close to you ( in relative terms) and a good starting point.