Cheapest laptop solution for XDCamHD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheapest laptop solution for XDCamHD?

I use a Sony F-350 XDCamHD for sportsnews, and I would like to cut the stories on a lap-top and bounce them back to disk on the camera. I would then feed using the camera for playback.

I'm a Mac guy and I know very little about the PC world, but I've been wondering if Vegas might do the trick.

Can anybody point me towards good valued PC laptops(firewire) capable of doing basic editing. I'd like to keep it down to just a lap-top and camera combo, no extra pieces, if possible.

I'm not sure that going cheap is necessarily the right thing to do, but I'd like to compare pricing against a MacBook Pro/FCP combo(which is overkill for what I need at the moment).

Any other solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My favorite laptop for windows, is my MacBook. It runs windows and vegas great with bootcamp using XP. You can certainly buy a cheaper laptop, Dell has them for $600 or so but I've never had good luck with cheap laptops.

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sony Vaio

The Vaio line from Sony is specifically geared toward multimedia and Vegas should be the ideal software not only because it's a lean editor but also because it comes from the same company, so they should play nicely with each other.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

"cheapest"...

Proxy editing in realtime is always possible , even with older notebooks.

I´ve installed Vegas 7 on a Celeron Notebook:
Proxy Editing is fine - but when it comes to render with the full res files things get waaaayyyyy sssssloooooowwww...

I´d recommend to buy a dual core 2000$ PC-Laptop and use Vegas with it.

Render speeds should be fine with that.

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Wrangler

Why not a Macbook (not Pro)?

For $1000 you could get the job done.

[edit: With a Macbook, you could also just run the PC XDCAM software, edit proxies in that, and transfer cut lists back to the cam for playback. Now THAT would be fast and easy, assuming you could deal with the edit limitations]

Last edited by Nate Weaver; September 24th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
Why not a Macbook (not Pro)?

For $1000 you could get the job done.
Totally agree with Nate. Peter, if you're already on the Mac platform, a new Mac laptop would give you the ability to use Windows or OSX. But from the task you're describing, FCP would work fine. Bring in your clips for the package, trim, do VO if necessary, export sequence back to disc. At that point, make a clip list that contains only one clip... your single clip you mastered back to the disc. Put camera in subclip mode and feed. Done. Thank you very much. And you're outta there, headed home to relax. (grin)

-gb-

EDIT: Hey Peter, just saw this listing in our classifieds. Might be perfect for you. See: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....09&postcount=1

Last edited by Greg Boston; September 24th, 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added info on laptop in classifieds.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions