Sony HVR-M15U HDV & compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HVR-M15U HDV & compatability

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this discussion

I am a freelance editor beging dragged kicking and screaming into the HDV realm by client demands (curse them and their demands ... if it wasn't for those checks ..)

I was considering buying the HVR-M15U due to is resemblance (and price point) to my venerable DSR-11 which has been such a great little work horse for me

I edit for multiple studios, who shoot on a wide range of gear. Although, in the DV world, I have had occasional compatability issues mostly they have been solved by the 11 (and every now and then I can haul out my JVC SVR)

I recently read that that Sony, Canon and JVC all employ different GOP architectures for their HDV cams which means that one deck .... like the Sony ... can't deal with em all. Is this true? If I buy the Sony will I have difficulty playing HDV tapes from Canon and JVC and capturing them into my Macs? (using FCP)

This is increasing the headache already created by this whole HDV deal. I'm looking at a substantial capitol investement already to get both suites tooled out for HDV .... don't tell me I need different decks ..

Any thoughts on this? Anyone using the HVR to play back/export HDV tapes shot on different cams?? Any feedback much appreciated

Victor
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Victor,

FWIW:
never heard of "different GOP architectures" by different manufacturers (only between PAL & NTSC);
own a Sony HVR-M15U;
just switched from XL1s (PAL) to A1 (NTSC & PAL);
first test tapes shot in HDV50i flawlessly played and down-converted by the M15U;
everything should be fine as long as your material is interlaced (progressive stuff is a different ball game, of course)
... but you might want to check with more experienced users.

Vasco
Vasco Dones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply

That's pretty much how I'd expect it to work. A trustworthy source has told me that different manufactered cams indeed to record the GOP structures differently ....

Not sure if that actually makes sense but I know in the DV world you had that whole "dry v wet" tape thing going that could play havoc with lower end decks. And, well, Sony usually tries to do everything differently

I appreciate the feed back; just trying to find anyone who has used this specific deck what their experience is

Thanks
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions