Best solution for editing HD in Final Cut 6.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best solution for editing HD in Final Cut 6.0

I'm starting a new project where I will be editing footage from the Panasonic HVX-200. I understand the concepts of HD from formats to aspect ratios, etc. But, I want to know the best way to edit the footage in Final Cut.

We will be integrating SD footage (Canon XL2) and the HD footage on the same DVD. The format when finished will be SD. What is the the best way?

A) To convert all of the HD footage using the ProRes422 Codec before I start editing, then everything I'm editing is in SD?

B) Or edit everything the way that it is and then in compressor export the finished file to the format of my choosing. That seems like the best way, but is this possible?

I know my way around, but there get's to be a point where there are too many numbers and too many ways of doing things. I like to keep it simple.

Thanks to anyone who may have suggestions.

Take care,

Josh Woll
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you can handle the size, you might find it easier to capture everything as Pro Res 422 if you have the ability to capture that way. This will make things much easier keeping everything the same format during the edit. If you can't capture to pro res, you might take the best quality clip and use that to set your sequence and then uprez everything to conform with that format.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions