.avi vs. .wmv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1
New Boot

.avi vs. .wmv

I would be grateful for your opinion on the practical aspect of the .avi and .wmv formats. Or maybe .m2t?
I am shooting with sony hdv, and editing with Vegas 8.

My main concern is, when archiving edited clips for future use, the balance between quality of the clip, file size (practicality of archiving) and suitability for further usage (broadcasting and DVD/B-R production).

What is your approach?

Thanks,
Bernard
Bernard Bialorucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I would keep the Vegas project files but delete the captured footage and rendered video; seal the original tape(s) together with a CD or DVD containing the project files and any additional graphics and audio I used in the project in a plastic bag and keep them in the dark at room temperature. If you need the video, just re-capture the tape and continue editing in Vegas.

Alternatively, you can store your .m2t files on a hard drive - at today's prices they came at same price or cheaper than tapes.

Bottom line is, always keep the original, highest quality!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions