Remote Video Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Video Editing

I have been looking for a solution to edit AVCHD video while traveling without carrying around a full-fledged workstation PC for a long time now. I even contemplated to build one right into a carry-on luggage. Today I finally decided to experiment to access my newly built workstation (I called it Silent Screamer) using browser-based remote access software.
Read more here...
http://innomind.org/index.php?option...id=76&Itemid=1

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why not simply get a notebook built around a dual core processor?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Why not simply get a notebook built around a dual core processor?
Will it be truly traveling light? Besides, getting a notebook that is fast enough to edit AVCHD or HDV approaches $4,000 mark. Building a fast workstation hovers around $1000-$1300

Old March 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would think something like this would work pretty nicely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114437

That notebook is close to $1000 and only weighs about a pound and a half more than the M200. I've edited HDV on considerably less potent desktops.
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
I would think something like this would work pretty nicely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114437

That notebook is close to $1000 and only weighs about a pound and a half more than the M200. I've edited HDV on considerably less potent desktops.
Well, I am not planning to lug around the 4.4-pound Toshiba M200, let alone the one you listed above. The idea is to make traveling light. The remote access terminal would be sub $500 one-pound Asus Eee, the upcoming 8GB hard drive version one with a 9" screen and Win XP OS. So, in the field there are only two items to carry, an AVCHD camcorder, in my case Sony HDR-SR7, and a one-pound Eee notebook.

Old March 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Now I understand. I got the impression you were using the M200 as your remote terminal. I was looking at the Asus Eee recently, wishing it had a firewire port, so it could be used as flash memory recording device (for HDV) that could be mounted on my DVMultiRig Pro, or even on camera and also provide a nice 7" 800x480 monitor (delayed picture, but still quite useful).
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Now I understand. I got the impression you were using the M200 as your remote terminal. I was looking at the Asus Eee recently, wishing it had a firewire port, so it could be used as flash memory recording device (for HDV) that could be mounted on my DVMultiRig Pro, or even on camera and also provide a nice 7" 800x480 monitor (delayed picture, but still quite useful).
If the Eee has a PCMCIA slot then you can use a firewire PCMCIA card for your setup...

Old March 21st, 2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, there's no PCMCIA slot either.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've been looking for something like the Eee, that has a firewire port or PCMCIA. I want something that is about the size of the Eee, has at least that resolution on the same (ore close to same) size LCD display, and has a slot for either CF or SCHC cards. I don't want it to have a hard drive (to heavy and sucks power).

If anyone knows of something like that, at a reasonable price, please let me know. I could build a device like that from parts, but it would be slightly bigger, not as neatly integrated, and cost twice as much.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions