editing canon xha1 wildlife footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

editing canon xha1 wildlife footage

i have not picked up a pc editing softward yet, but was informed the Newteks speededit is a great new product. For simplicity sake, i was going to go vegas 8...but speededit was recommended. want to dissolve, cut and add music, nature sounds. keeping things simple. also add time dissolve with a nikon digital camera

question...i am familiar as a still photographer with adobe cs3 extended. can you increase contrast, darken and saturate images digitally without a lot of time involved

second question..anti shake software work without loosing too much image quality? have sea otters and whales shot in kayak to take out the shake. thanks. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Major Player

For what it's worth:

I use Adobe Premier Elements with my A1 and things come out fine.

Yes, you have easy access to image controls. I just shot a auto show in Cleveland and I'm finding that I need to keep boosting saturation and contrast, while turning down brightness. It's really pulling a lot more color out of the images - and in HD! Some of the images are stunning.

And this was really my first second time out with the A1. My first time using it, I came up with this: http://www.vimeo.com/739660

Personally, I like Premier and it hasn't caused me any problems yet.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

apparently premier elements is a lighter form of premier pro? nice work on your reference for just starting. i have overexposed footage on some dark background areas..and wanted to saturate. how easy is premier elements to use? bill
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

has anyone used newtek' speededit software for hdv editing?

bill, bothell, washington
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #5
Trustee

SpeedEdit is showing up in more posts lately and reports sound fairly positive. I haven't any personal experience with it but if you search these boards you might turn up some good information.

I plan on looking into SpeedEdit as PP CS3 is not working for me in HD. Cineform doesn't improve things either as I'm not convinced that it's ready for Vista yet.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I just went and read Videomakers review. Seems like a kinda cool piece of software, but for $495, I'd be looking elsewhere. I'd wager it can't do half of what Vegas could do for similar money. But Vegas will certainly take more time to learn.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Trustee

If you have a serial number from Avid, Premiere, Final Cut or others you can get a discount of $100 for a final price of $395. Check Newteks store front for competitive upgrade.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

one of the features i was hoping to use was mercali plug in for removing motion from marine mammal footage shot in a boat, or kayak. apparently newtek speededit doesnt support it, nor does the anti shake software do as good of a job. any suggestions?

bill, bothell, wa
William Boehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions