AJA Io HD/Computer work flow question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AJA Io HD/Computer work flow question?

Okay this might be a completely lame question for some people on here and shows my mark as a total noob on here... but here goes anyway...

I have been transcoding my HDV 720p footage from my JVC HD-110U camcorder into Final Cut 2 as Apple Proress 422 (Not 422HQ). I did this because I thought I could pull more color out the footage or add more color when I round tripped to Apple Color. I brought the color corrected footage back into my time line as Proress 422 again (after Color export) doubled each clip and stacked on top of each other and used the old screen composite mode + the defocus filter to get that soft look... I know its cheese but It was wedding videography stuff...

Anyway, to my question... My system just crawls. It chuggs super hard and I'm looking at 2 and 3 hour render times. Royal Pain in the butt! I have a G5 with dual 2.5 processors and 4 gigs of RAM. 2 terabites of space-no RAID but I run Final cut off one SATA and my footage off another SATA.

Will a Io HD help this situation at all? I have heard I can work in SD and then upress to 2K! Is this true? Or is the Io just a faster way to transcode to proress? I am torn between either a new system or was thinking about getting this box. Can someone explain how this thing works? Why cant I just get a better graphics card?
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Iohd

The IOHD is not your issue probably. The IOHD is a capture device that converts to pro res in it's own box. Once it is captured, it no longer is used. It keeps yur computer's processor from having to do the conversion if you have your own capture card. It's like having it's own computer within it's box. Try an esata raid. I think that's your problem.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions