External Hard Drives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 7th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Hard Drives?

Can anyone recommend a reliable external hard drive so that I can store all of the P2 files that have taken up all the space on my computers. My head hurts with all that is out there, but is really good and reliable? Thanks!!!

Chris Vaglio
Grey Sky Films

Chris Vaglio
Director/Producer/Editor
Grey Sky Films
www.greyskyfilms.com
Chris Vaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Trustee

The same disks you use internally, only connected with eSATA. My favorite is the Samsung Spinpoint F1. If you have hot swappable bays in your system, you only need a disk and a diskframe. Insert the disk, copy your files, take it out and store on a shelf.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Use an enclosure that provides adequate cooling (most are lousy). This one looks like it should cool the drive okay (I just got one, but I haven't used it yet):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173042
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Whatever you do, don't buy Western Digital, especially the My book editions. I had one of them dying on me this week after one year use and I can assure you...it's not a pleasant feeling
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

MacGurus Burly Bay: MacGurus:Burly Port Multiplier SATA Enclosures

I would recommend the 5-bay tray-less tower but the do have a single bay unit as well. Your need for storage is only going to continue to increase which is why I recommend the 5-day tray-less drive: pop in a new bare bones drive or load an older drive as needed. I have also found their pricing on drives to be competitive, especially considering these are RETAIL drives and not OEM versions. Keep in mind that the tray-less Burly bay is a SATA only connection to the computer. Tray type bays are available with a Firewire connection.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #6
Major Player

I bought a couple of enclosures and then just ran the sata cable through the holes in the back of the case and plugged them straight onto the motherboard. So they're as good as internal drives, but housed outside the case and still portable when I need them to be.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions