DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   MPEG Edit Studio Pro LE Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/12963-mpeg-edit-studio-pro-le-questions.html)

Joe Russ August 10th, 2003 12:33 PM

i just do editing the old way, you just need hard drive space. uncompress the footage to avi (use the huffy compression and its half the file size) and edit in your favorite editing software.....wallah....just buy a big firewire drive to go with it or something.

Glenn Gipson August 10th, 2003 07:00 PM

I wonder if the uncompressed footage can be used with Magic Bullet...

Sasha Froyland August 11th, 2003 09:58 AM

Thanks Joe. What program do you use to convert the footage to avi? What 'firewire drive' do you recommend?

What would be wrong with exporting from the JVC camera the footage in .dv format then edit with favorite editor? Decreased resolution?

Joe Russ August 11th, 2003 08:52 PM

i use HDTVtoMPEG2, then dvd2avi, then tmpeg to make uncompressed (well, huffy yuv) avis at 854 x 480 resolution....since my output will be 720x480 anamorphic anyway, but its still 1:1.

i dont export to dv compression because i dont want any quality loss if possible and with a spare drive ive got room. pluse as standard avi i can take it into premiere and after effects which i love so dearly....or final cut pro if i used a mac, hah. any fast firewire drive should do, i use a seagate 7200 rpm drive....works great.

Sasha Froyland August 11th, 2003 09:05 PM

Thanks very much Joe. I see that your use 3 different programs:
1) HDTVtoMPEG2
http://www.midwinter.com/~bcooley/
2) dvd2avi
http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/
3) tmpeg
http://www.tmpgenc.com/

Is that correct?

I'm very new to this - esspecially to the format conversion process your are describing so I'll start with the first software package and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!

Sasha

Joe Russ August 11th, 2003 11:22 PM

basically, hdtvtompeg2 is for converting the transport stream to a valid mpeg file that dvd2avi (not the hd version) can read. then you load that mpg in dvd2avi, and it creates a .d2v that tmpeg can then read and allow you to do easy adjustments on and output to an avi file. you can also use something called avisynth but its command line from text files, and not necesary.

Michael Hyun August 12th, 2003 12:53 AM

Joe,

How did you get hdtvtompeg2 to accept the m2t files? It seems to crash the program when you try to open the jvc files.

Thanks

I'm on a PC btw.

Joe Russ August 12th, 2003 02:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : Joe,

How did you get hdtvtompeg2 to accept the m2t files? It seems to crash the program when you try to open the jvc files.

Thanks

I'm on a PC btw. -->>>

make sure you are using version 109 b or higher. i had the same problem from an old version. now im using 109b and it works great.

also, i forgot to mention how im converting audio. i just output it to an mpeg audio file using jvcs nle and then convert to wav (using their decoder as well) tho i dont think its necesary and then i add it back to the .d2v file in tmpeg, i hadnt been doing anything with audio (necesary audio anyway) until now, so i forgot to mention that whole step.

Michael Hyun August 12th, 2003 02:26 AM

I can only find 1.07.

Where did u find 1.09b?

Thanks

Paul Mogg August 12th, 2003 12:49 PM

Hi, as I've posted before, I think if people want to do simple editing, they should take a look at the new Womble editor, which edits the HD1OU footage in it's native format, and only costs $120. I tried it briefly and it seemed to do a good job and be much more reliable than the MPEG studio software that came with the camera. It also ran well on my slow (800mhz) PC. You can find it at www.womble.com

Sasha Froyland August 12th, 2003 09:49 PM

Hello Paul and thanks for the advice. I downloaded the demo of the Womble editor, yet it appears that the demo will not allow you to import (.m2t) files. You must buy the full version. I've got an email into tech support to confirm.

Randall Morton August 12th, 2003 10:22 PM

I downloaded Womble and have the same problem. I played a bit with an MPG file but I'm not going to the trouble of learning to use it with files I don't want to edit. From what I can tell it looks very basic, maybe no better than MPEG Edit Studio Pro. If this program were getting really good reviews from several users I might be tempted. They need a demo version of the full program.

Michael Hyun August 13th, 2003 01:18 AM

I just finished editing my first short project with MPEG Edit Studio Pro LE. I had no problems with crashes or such...

I used simple cuts (no fades or wipes) with an overlaid soundtrack on track 2. Does anyone know of a simpler way of making this work besides individually mixing the audio on each clip? Is there a way to just turn off the audio of track 1 for an extended segment, and replace it with audio from track 2?

Mixing the audio for each clip introduces a bit of audio noise between clips (a twinge of static). I was disappointed by the audio, but other than that, everything seemed pretty simple and stable.

Sasha Froyland August 13th, 2003 07:04 AM

Hello Michael,
I'm trying to get an idea of why my project errors when I try to save it and I'm thinking it has something to do with the amount of clips in the bin or on the timeline, however I've tried removing all the clips out of the bin and off the timeline but it made no difference.

Do you mind answering a few questions about your project?
1. How many clips are in the bin?
2. What is the estimated total run time of all the clips in the bin if put together?
3. How many clips are in the Timeline?
4. What is the run time of clips on the Timeline?

Thanks,
Sasha

Elvis Deane August 13th, 2003 01:15 PM

Has anyone tried editing HD10U footage using Vegas 4? I'm just curious because I'm looking into buying the camera and have really gotten comfortable with Vegas. I was able to import some of those downloadable M2T files and cut them together with almost no problems (the Paul Mogg ones and the Las Vegas ones), though I did notice they got grainy pretty fast once I started fooling around with colour correction.