NEED HELP!! VITC/LTC issues on HDCAM-SR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
New Boot

NEED HELP!! VITC/LTC issues on HDCAM-SR

I am having some problems with our VITC and LTC TC not matching up when laying back to HDCAM. For example: when I layback something to the deck my LTC will read 01:05:06;00, however, my VITC reads something like: 00:03:06;00.

This causes major problems for me because I have to clone tapes that are deadline sensitive to the Panasonic D5 as well and it's not pulling accurate timecode. The weird part is, I haven't changed anything of the steps of my process...I am thinking somewhere along the way a system setting was changed.

Basically, I need the VITC/LTC to match, and I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate this problem. ANY INSIGHT???
Scott Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I take it obvious stuff like timecode is set to regen and from internal source?
The timecode section is always the first look when LTC and VITC don't match. The next is how the tapes, you're laying back to, have been black + burst/striped?

What deck are you using to layback?
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Figured out Layback issue

Hi Matt,

I figured out the problems. It actually turned out to be an issue when cloning from a Panasonic D5 to HDCAM-SR.

The issue with TC I am running into right now, is cloning TC from HDCAM-SR to Panasonic D5. Do you have any experience doing this?
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

it should be straight forward, analog LTC to analog LTC and set you're D5 to EXT regen. Unless you're going from 23.98->59.94(then you're SOL).
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #5
New Boot

EXT LTC not cloning from Source Deck

I wish it were as simple as that.

Here are the D5 settings:

EXT LTC
SLAVE
REC RUN
MOMNT

However, I keep getting a error message saying that EXT LTC NOT READ. I really don't know what else it could be really. I am waiting for a call from Panasonic still...I have an hour and half to figure it out. I've consulted the manual and other forums several times as well.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Assuming the D5 is actually recieving LTC in the correct frame rate (59.94 of 23.98) then I would say there is a problem with the deck itself.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Are you regenerating TC via the xlr's or embedded sdi? Might be worth trying both. If you are cross converting TC there is an option in the srw5500 (if you're using this deck) for TC conversion between different frame rates;but then it can get complex.
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions