Converting HDV to DVC Pro HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Converting HDV to DVC Pro HD

I have a client that has hired me to record video and audio for a project that will air on a network, probably next year. Right now we are just recording raw footage which will be edited some time down the road. The client was speaking to a producer at one of the TV stations in the area who told him the networks require a DVC Pro HD format. I use a Sony HVR-HD1000 which shoots to miniDV tape.

I'm assuming it would be just a transfer process using the right transfer equipment. Is there anyone who can give me some insight on how to do the dubbing?

Do I find a production house with the gear to do a tape to tape transfer?
Can I capture the footage to the computer, store the raw footage onto an external drive, then take that to a place that can record it back to tape?

I'm really at a loss on this issue. I can shoot and edit but getting it to a DVC Pro HD format is the problem I have.

I know a good solution would be to get a camera that shoots to DVC Pro HD but that is not an option right now. Even if, at a later date, I were to get a camera that shoots to DVC Pro HD, I will still have lots of miniDV tapes that would have to be transferred. I start shooting this project on Friday.

Anyone who can help?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's what I do: Do everything in HDV, Export to tape, take tape to local post house, where they not only dub it to the right tape format but also "legalize" it in the process.

Fast and cheap.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The transcoding can also be done via software but you're probably better off as described above.

I assume both you and the client are aware of the significant difference between the quality of the two formats... your HD1000 is nowhere near a DVCPRO-HD camera as far as picture quality... just thought I mention that to avoid further complications.
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #4
New Boot

I decided to start a new topic: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-def...o-hd-tape.html
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The footage literally has to be delivered on a tape? Can't they take DVCPRO HD encoded footage stored on any other medium (like a P2 card even)?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions