Choppy 720p 24fps preview and playback on vegas 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Tourist

Choppy 720p 24fps preview and playback on vegas 9

Hello all, new to the site. So here's the deal. I transferred some footage for a friend and they recorded it on a gy hd 200 jvc. I used a jvc deck to capture the footage and it came in okay (despite the dirty heads on the camera, ugh) anyhow they are editing using vegas 9 and there's no preview option for 720p 24fps preview and the numbers under the preview are in red. The closest there is to 24 is the 720p 25fps and I figure this is why they are having playback problems. Can anyone help me find an upgrade to support this playback so I can sleep without this favour haunting me? I am a final cut/avid user and have literally no experience with vegas so I'm a bit in the dark when giving advice to them. Please help!
Wes Dogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

On the top left-hand corner of your preview window, you'll see a button which will say "Project Settings" if you hover your mouse over it. When you go into that option, you'll see the ability to customize your resolution and your framerate.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Tourist

Hi, so i'm trying to walk this guy through it using instant messenger. This is difficult because I can't see what he's dealing with and I'm unfamiliar with the program. He's using vegas 9 and there's only the project video properties drop down. inside there, there is all of the different frame rates and resolutions. the problem is that there isn't a listing for 720p 24fps there's only 720p 25fps and 29.97(drop). That's why originally I was asking if there's a software plugin for this program or an update or something...Thanks. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of this program, in fc it's right in the drop down for easy set up, bang and you're done.
Wes Dogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's how it looks in Vegas 8.0. I have never used 9.0 before, but my assumption is that they would not take these options away.

Click on the Project Properties button on the top left-hand corner of the preview monitor.

http://www.djspiral.com/images/misc/framerate_01.gif

You'll then see the Project Properties window, where, at the top, you will see the drop down menu you were referring to in your previous post. Below that drop down menu, you'll see fields for entering in a custom width & height for your resolution (1280x720). You can also choose which field you want it to start with or you can choose progressive (which would make it 720p).

You'll also see the option to pick a specific framerate, or, if you don't see your framerate in the list, you can just type it in.

http://www.djspiral.com/images/misc/framerate_02.gif

I hope this helps.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for the visual aids! That's the best support ever. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks and best regards!
Wes Dogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions