Trouble Playing Matrox HD AVI files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Trustee

Trouble Playing Matrox HD AVI files

I have some video files that were captured by an associate with a Matrox RT.X2 card. I have a Matrox M.key that enables me to play/edit them on my system. The problem that I am having is that the video clips play until approximately the 10 minute point and then stop. The behavior is the same in any player or editor. I also tried transcoding them with the Cineform Neo Scene codec hoping it might fix the quirkiness in playing but the behavior remains the same.

My associate can play or edit the files with no problem on his system with the RT.X2 card and Premiere CS3 in it. I hope this isn't another stunt by Adobe / Matrox to make life difficult outside their "evil empire". Matrox already has my $200 for the M.key. What else do they want for Matrox HD AVI files to play past 10 minutes!?

I discovered that Matrox's so-called slick HD file format is just all I-frame mpeg 2 files with an AVI wrapper slapped on it so they can lock it down and grub money from anyone who wants to play /edit it.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Just a thought, are you using a drive that is FAT32 formatted instead of NTFS? There is an upper limit on file sizes on Fat32 drives, 4 gb, iirc....could cause such a problem, I think.../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks but it's not that. My drive is NTFS. I just heard that this behavior in the Matrox / Adobe "Dark Kingdom" is a well know bug. Apparently I need to use Matrox EZ HDV to get around this premeditated "bug". Anyone else would fix it but these thugs prefer to call it the "2GB AVI bug." Did anyone ever hear of the "2GB AVI bug " in Cineform? Of course not, but neither is Cineform a huckster!
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Major Player

No, this is one of the random Matrox bugs... I had a very similar one that stopped playing at 1:38. Try installing their updates, if you haven`t already, they often fix things, but break another.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions