New Ibooks with G4 give us a $1000 FCP 4 solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:12 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

New Ibooks with G4 give us a $1000 FCP 4 solution

This morning, Apple introduced G4-based iBooks.

Panther pre-installed
800MHz (12" display), 933MHz (14" display), and 1GHz (14" display) PowerPC G4 processors

Price (U.S. dollars): $1099 (12"), $1299 (14"), and $1499 (14")

256K Level 2 cache

133MHz system bus

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

30GB (12"), 40GB (14"), and 60GB (14") Ultra ATA/100 hard drives

Slot-loading Combo drive (SuperDrive apparently not available)

These systems will provide the G4 compute power to handle MPEG-2 at under 5-pounds.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Trustee

What does a PC equivalent go for?
Ken
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:54 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Hodson : What does a PC equivalent go for?
Ken -->>>

There is no PC equivant to OS X running on a iBook. :)
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Major Player

That's right, you can't buy a PC laptop that weak anymore. You'd have to go back in time to spend that much money on something so meager.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Betsy,

If you want to start a Mac vs. PC war please do it somewhere else!

If you have so much free time on your hands that you want to argue about which computer format is better, then I'm sure you can find a better forum than this one for that boring old argument.

If someone wants to buy a macintosh then that is their business. Let it go!

Brad
Brad Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Wrangler

Also, Steve...regarding the new ibooks posting. I checked on ebay and it's (Mac Rocks) amazing what you (PC Sucks) can get for $1,000. Dual G4 towers, etc. If you don't want to spend the money (OSX = Advanced Technology) on a G5 you can get a decent editing (Windows = Ex Pee) solution on eBay.

I know I got my HD10U on eBay...
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM   #7
Major Player

I am surprised that Hardcore PC lovers even bother to look at this particular thread, it is entitled "New Ibooks with G4 give us a $1000 FCP4 solution", I don't see any PC reference here :) By the way you have to use both platforms to be able to really compare...

This Ibook news is good for mac enthusiasts, period. If it does not apply, it is surprising you would ever read this thread...
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

Having worked with computers since 1961 through the wonderfull Amiga to first Mac and then to NT through W2000 and now to OS X -- I do not think that.

I think no viruses. An easy to maintain OS X. Great design.

I love my PowerBook, my iBook, and my iMac. But, I also don't think badly of PCs. CineForm sends me a hot PC and I'm a happy camper. Windows has features I prefer over OS X and vice versa. Does this make me "bi"?
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

First of all, this thread is not "off-topic" considering that Steve started it simply to point out that there is a new and inexpensive model of ibook, that has the processing power to handle mpeg-2. I mean that is what this place is for right? So that we can tell each other about new technology relating to HDV and JVC cameras.

And secondly, I am a Mac and PC owner like Steve, so don't assume that I am a Mac-aholic or something like that simply because I don't want this forum to turn into a war zone for Mac and PC fanatics. And by the way, you don't have to be on the mac side of things to be a zealot.

So far this place has been great and we really haven't had to deal with any fanatics like in other forums. I just hope it stays that way, but I realize now that by responding I've only fanned the fire, so I'll just be quiet.
Brad Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:55 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

This is the cheapest NEW portable G4 out there. And it's fast, for what it is. A 1 ghz G4 is nothing to snuff at, though only being able to put in 640 (or so) mb of RAM is lame. Then again, I got away with a PowerBook G4 400 mhz with a gig of RAM for two years. And I cut a two hour play (from three days worth of shooting, about 7 hours or so total footage), a bunch of small projects, a friend's bat mitvah (1:45:00) and the majority of the remastering cuts and commentary touches on my film for DVD, which clocked in at under 2 hours. (I think I cut the doc on the G5, or most of the doc, and did the DVD on the G5.) Oh, and a 22 minute short film that took a while to edit, like 3 - 4 hours for every edited minute.

So, that's why I'm pleased Apple has an iBook 1 ghz G4 for $1100. That means I can buy an affordable portable to write and do mobile editing.

heath
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM   #11
HDV Cinema

The G4 opens the door to FCP 4 and Avid Free DV and Xpress DV.

An iBook at $1000 plus Free DV is pretty neat!
Old October 24th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #12
ChorizoSmells

My friend bought a G3 iBook a month ago, I bet he's wishing now he had waited a bit. I've been using my 800Mhz G3 iBook to edit in RT Offline mode, I then put the FCP file into my G4 and render out the video. A G4 iBook is a great idea, I was wondering when they would come out with one.

When I saw the new G4 iBook I immediately thought of selling my G3 iBook and getting one, but I couldn't part with it, it has served me so well. I'd probably give it to my sister who is a die hard windows user, her kids could use it. I ought to go check the prices on used G3 iBooks, with the G4 iBook out now, nobody is gonna want a G3 iBook, they ought to be cheaper now.

Whose gonna be the first on the forum to get one of these? Let us know how it performs.
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #13
Wrangler

MAC = Productivity for Professionals

On a more serious note. I don’t think that what is being raised here is MAC vs. PC as much as it is MAC vs. PC for video editing. Like Steve, I’ve used PCs…quit a bit. My first “computers” were Sinclair, Armstrad, TI, Commodore… onto any and every brand you can think of. My last job before being a producer was CIO of Hooked on Phonics and I refused to bring MACs in the organization for a long time much to the product development team’s dismay.

I edited my first feature length doc on a $10,000 PC (Dual Pentium) with 2 X 9 GIG Barracuda HD. It was the single most painful and frustrating experience of my life. Now granted is was the first DV card made, the ‘Spark’ as I recall. After the showing at the Hawaii Film Festival, Roger Ebert asked me “Frederic, why the long fade to black every 10 mins?” I answered “Well, Mr. Ebert that’s a good question. I wanted the audience to take some time to think about what they just saw…” He wasn’t impressed. In fact my problem was that you couldn’t have one file longer than 10 minutes and that these super duper $1,500 a piece Barracudas couldn’t sustain the rpm necessary to play video for longer than 10 min without dropping frames. I was using Adobe Premier at the time.

Anyway,…to make a long story longer I eventually purchased one of the first Powerbook G4 500Mhz with 500 MB RAM and FCP. Having used an Apple nearly 10 years prior (Apple II) I knew VERY LITTLE about MACs. It took me 48 HRS to get used to it! I have never had dropped frame issues. I’ve edited 2 more docs, commercials and TV shows on this Powerbook. Some of this editing was done on trains in Europe! I didn’t have to worry about compatible drivers, registry modifications or anything else that is normal occurrence on a PC. MAC is an out of the box productive tool for the video professional. Productive and profesional being the key words here. Professionals don’t have the time to fuss with drivers. Could I do things with the MAC that I used to do with a PC? Absolutely! I’ve designed and developed in php, asp, cold fusion, flash and java with this MAC. Take a look: http://www.playphotos.com http://www.filmstaff.com

As far as NLE solution, FCP blows Avid Express and Premier out of the water. Just finished editing a 4 camera shoot TV show. With as many as 4 takes ligned up for sound sync, you’re talking 16 video tracks and 4 audio tracks before music and sound effect. I wouldn’t have wanted to try this on Premier.

Alright, sorry about the long post but my point is MAC = Productivity. Now I’ll get back to work. Until the FedEx guy shows up with my copy of Panther! ;)
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

I got a letter from Apple yesterday about some lawsuit with G3's bought between 1997 and 2000, and OS X bought up to May of this year. I think it's about the G3 sucking with OS X. Pretty lame; let's sue Apple because of their DEEP pockets...

heath
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Sorry guys, I was just kidding! Kidding. Joke:) I like Apples, I'm not married to either format.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions