Pixlet better than expected? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 31st, 2003, 04:01 PM   #1
Trustee

Pixlet better than expected?

Ok, I've been doing some playing around and this is what I have found.

I have some footage of regular NTSC DV stock footage. If I layer some text on it - it's obvious that it has jagged edges. It looked aliased (as opposed to anti-aliased). I'll export to Pixlet and play it back - it looks really smooth. Unlike when I save to the standard Quicktime codec.

Does Pixlet add something or calculate in such a way that it helps all footage? I'd like to hear from other people who have looked at this too. I'm using high quality footage on a Mac, but of course its always looked NTSC-like. However, I swear that when I export to Pixlet and playback - it looks much better - smooth and without the edging. It's similar to when I use Photoshop to add very slight Gaussien blur (after applying the NTSC color filter). It makes the image playback better on NTSC - no jumping and flickering. (I recommend this to everyone by the way - always tweak stills before displaying on television - otherwise your images look like crap.)

Any thoughts anyone??

Chris
Christopher C. Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:26 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

Re: Pixlet better than expected?

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : It's similar to when I use Photoshop to add very slight Gaussien blur (after applying the NTSC color filter). -->>>

Prior to compression very fine details are eliminated by a filter. You are seeing this filter in action.

Your experiment is telling us something about Pixlet.
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Steve,

I just found out something not-so-good. Although, the overall image definately looks better when exporting NTSC footage with text - it also took the text that was suppose to come out of a white background and garbled it. However, it's interesting because the general look of the text is better. It was just this one short bit (about 1/2 sec.) that it looked garbled. The codec must have chocked on the little bit? In other words, it looks like it got confused when it encountered a fade-in. It garbled the text slightly before revealing it.

What does this mean? Obviously, we can't do this if we're sensitive of the minute details in text or whatever detail. However, I absolutely love the way it looks overall after exporting to Pixlet. There is no doubt that it does something to the footage. Is there a way to figure out exactly what it's doing?

Is there a white-paper available on Pixlet anywhere? I used to do tons of streaming video, so I know a bit about codecs etc. If Apple has some tech info anywhere at all - maybe we can figure out what Pixlet is all about. I know its not really a mystery, but I would like to know what is happening under the hood.

Chris
Christopher C. Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

I've searched for details -- and nothing.

You don't want a codec to make any visible changes.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I agree changes from the original footage should not happen but this codec is optimised for HD not HD witch does not use the same gamma I believe,and most certainly not the same resolution...

I have not yet tried Pixlet but as soon as my G5 arrives I will test drive Pixlet thoroughly for sure.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions