Help with DVD2AVI -- inconsistent results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 13th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #1
Tourist

Help with DVD2AVI -- inconsistent results

Has anyone had problems with DVD2AVI and HUFFYUV on XP? I am following Alex Raskin's workflow and have succeeded in making my files into mpeg's. But when I run DVD2AVI, it almost never works. It generates a large .avi file but the file is not playable by WM9 or PPro -- in fact, it crashes both.

I got DVD2AVI to work only once -- on this 1 occasion, the list of Compression options was different: it included the usual Huffyuv 2.1.1, Full Frames (uncompressed), plus two others that were something like Microsoft Codec 1, and another codec name starting with C, I believe (and No Recompression did not appear as an option). I can't give the exact text because I can't get them to appear again. I did no installs or un-installs that could explain the sudden appearance or disappearance of these other options. Rebooting has not made a difference.

The only time this particular list of options appeared was the only time I have been able to successfully generate the .avi. Of course when it worked, I made the same selection of HUFFYUV 2.1.1 that I always make -- the HUFFYUV entry had not changed. Every other time I have run the app, I get a large .avi that I can't play. I do have "Always suggest RGB format for output" turned on.

Thanks to all the postings that have gotten me this far!

Kurt
Kurt Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:44 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

DVD2AVI was made for DVD style MPEG2 files. Are you sure it
should work with the streams you are working on?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Tourist

can't be sure myself

I can't be sure myself because of my limited experience in this area. I'm just following the workflow described by Alex Raskin and discussed by several others on this site, and didn't see any other mentions of the problems I'm having. Besides -- it worked once, and I'm using the same file formats and workflow each time I try. I'll keep your idea in mind as I try to research this further. Thanks.
Kurt Snyder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions