Editing uncompressed HD on a G5 Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Editing uncompressed HD on a G5 Mac

Here's an interesting development I tried late last night.
I put a 250gb SATA drive into my dual 2ghz G5 and 2 1/2 Gb of RAM and am finding that though the playback is still currently jerky, I am able to load, run and edit uncompressed 720p HD right off that drive in FCP 4.1. It runs more smoothly than the SheerVideo codec that I posted about before. My feeling is that if I put another SATA 250gb drive in the G5, and stripe the two as a 500gb software RAID array, and put my system and Apps on an external Firewire 800 drive, I may be able to have smooth running (and editing), uncompressed HD without any RAID hardware.
I noticed that Promax are touting such a system for uncompressed SD, but using an internal RAID controller card instead of doing a software RAID setup. I'll let you know, I guess I've come this far I have to try it!
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #2
Warden

Internal RAID controllers will be faster than a software RAID. Of course there is the added expense of the card and one less slot.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

My DP G5 will arrive later this week and will be configured as such with two SATA 250GB drives to be raided, I will tell you how it goes.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions