Womble's new editor The Mpeg Video Wizard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Womble's new editor The Mpeg Video Wizard

I was just looking for a decent HD editing program that wouldn't cost me my first born and finally my dreams came true. I downloaded the trial version at www.womble.com last night and it cuts pretty good! It doesn't play the cuts real time 100 percent of the time but it sure is better than the software packaged with the HD-1. It's simple but it works well for short length projects. Comes with a titler and transition effects. And it's only $150!!

I haven't tested putting the edited footage back to the hd camera yet, but if it's like Mpeg VCR (thier other software) it should be ok.

Has anyone else given this program a try?

-Will Lau
Will Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:11 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Virtual PC, here we Mac users come?

heath
Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I have to say I felt a little ripped off by Womble, as I just bought MPEg2VCR for $120, and they didn't tell me there was a new version coming out, and they won't upgrade me to the new "wizard" program for free even though MPEG2VCR says it comes with one year of free upgrades. They justify this by saying that the "wizard" program is a completely new program and not just an upgrade, which it quite obviously is. Seemed a little shady to me. But if it works, I might just pay the $50 for my "free" upgrade anyway, and put it on virtual PC.
Please let us know how it performs as MPEG2VCR seemed full of bugs to me when I tried it.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Well i tried spitting back the HD footage to tape.

I had a hard time rendering the .m2t files on the automatic settings, it kept crashing on certain shots. So I re-edited the problem shots, which were many on my 5 min piece, and it finally rendered completely. But before my camera could recognized the footage I had to use mpeg-vcr to convert it to a transferable file.

There were a lot problems along the way and the out come was pretty much unusable. My titles never transfered, my audio was out of sync by seconds and there was picture freezing between cuts. The good thing is I contacted Womble about this and they were very helpful in taking my suggestions in making thier program more JVC HD freindly. So right now they are doing real tests with JVC m2t footage. So maybe not now but hopefully in the future Womble could have an upgrade that will meet HD standards.

p.s. I also downconverted my HD to a dvd compliant file with Wizard and it worked great! So for those that are just burning your material to ntsc dvd, this works like a charm...for me anyways.
Will Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you for posting about this. I suspected their first version would be full of bugs, and you've just saved us some money until they come out with one that actually works and has been tested with the HD1OU. Perhaps you could suggest to them to post here when they've got an upgrade that actually works, as the interface on the new version certainly looks to be improved over the old MPEG2VCR. I hope I'm not being too harsh about this, but it really irks me when companies come out with software that just plain doesn't work, or that they just haven't bothered to test thoroughly.

Cheers
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #6
New Boot

No problem, actually Womble never stated they developed the editor for HD specifically, but if we help them steer their develpment towards HD this might be a cost effective to way to edit for us in the future. So any tests done with program, please forward your bugs reports and problems to them and I'm sure they'll address them, it' only in their best interest.

Cheers-Will
Will Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions