Digital Scaling HDV footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Digital Scaling HDV footage

I shot some footage over the weekend on a HV20 with a Letus Mini for a student short and I told my DP to zoom into the GG a little more than what you see on the monitor to be safe. Well my DP has a problem listening (must be because of the fact that he's 4 years older) to what I say and obviously decides to zoom back out to frame his shot better. Well long behold I come home to edit and you see a black frame around the footage from the Letus Mini.

Now, the easiest way to fix this problem would be to digitally scale about 110% in Premiere but I wanted to know if this would affect the quality in the long run. I'm pretty sure I read elsewhere that if it's delivered in SD on DVD then there shouldn't be any problems? But how about future stuff, like blu-ray? Vimeo? Or should I not worry about that?

My actors would cringe at the idea of a full day re-shoot but I wanted to get this short done just right. I would like to hear what other have to say.

Am I being too hard on my DP? I had some other issues with him not listening (i.e. equipment, camera, and editing knowledge). It's the little things, when he doesn't listen to me, ends up biting me in the-
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Conway View Post
I shot some footage over the weekend on a HV20 with a Letus Mini for a student short and I told my DP to zoom into the GG a little more than what you see on the monitor to be safe. Well my DP has a problem listening (must be because of the fact that he's 4 years older) to what I say and obviously decides to zoom back out to frame his shot better.
First you're using an HV20 so don't take yourself so seriously. Second, having not seen the frame there may be a reason your "DP" chose to zoom out a little and give you some safety area for your frame in post. "4 years older"? He can't possibly be smarter than you can he?

Quote:
Now, the easiest way to fix this problem would be to digitally scale about 110% in Premiere but I wanted to know if this would affect the quality in the long run.
Since you're a student why don't you try it and see what happens? That's how we learn things. We experiment and gain knowledge.

Quote:
Am I being too hard on my DP? I had some other issues with him not listening (i.e. equipment, camera, and editing knowledge). It's the little things, when he doesn't listen to me, ends up biting me in the-
Perhaps you should look in the mirror. Making a video or film is a team event and there is always a very good chance on a shoot that someone knows more than you or knows something you don't. No where in your email did you mention actually communicating with your DP. You "told" him what to do but didn't actually talk to him about why something should be done or why he was doing what he was doing. Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You're right Rick. I am taking things a little too seriously. I guess I jumped the gun with the post after being upset at seeing the footage. I feel I do explain myself on why things should be done but he seems to not believe me. I will try to be more a of a team player and communicate more efficiently and persistently with my team. Thanks for the advice.
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions