decompressing m2t files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #1
Major Player

decompressing m2t files

I am a PC user and I was wondering if there are PC programs out there that I could use (such as MM2C for the MAC) to decompress the m2t files captured by the software that comes with the hd10u. I am looking for greater latitude when it comes to choosing the form of output I edit in (ie avi, mpeg, etc.) and I believe (though I may be wrong in this case) that uncompressed footage gives me greater options in programs such as premiere and vegas.

Also I read that you can get the m2t files to work in premiere just by demuxing it with a ts demuxing software. I am new to this so would someone explain this demuxing process? What does it do to the m2t files? And whether what I read about demuxing and premiere is true or simply a false lead?

Thanks for the help

Dwight
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

At CineForm we have Aspect HD, a fully real-time HD Editing solution for Premiere 6.5 (and Pro very soon). However, some users just want to convert from the m2t files will find Aspect HD overkill for their applications (Vegas and After Effects users take note.) CineForm is about to announce the product that should precisely meet your needs. In the next day or so the announcement should be up on the CineForm home page. Stay tuned.
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The m2t files produced by the JVC capture utility are mpeg2 transport stream. A transport stream is a container for mpeg2, most muxed mpeg2 files are program streams, .vob files found on DVDs for example. Program streams are just another type of container for mpeg2. "muxed" means that the audio and video files are interleaved, a portion of the video followed by a portion of the audio, followed by the video again etc. Demuxing takes the combined file and breaks it into mpeg2 elementary streams. Demuxing is convienient because there are more applications that can handle elementary streams than transport streams, so you can then take the elementary streams and convert them into a format more readily handled by NLEs. Vegas will deal directly with m2t without demuxing BTW (Does Premiere?).
Digital television is another format that uses transport streams and the tools available for converting these files will also work with the JVC m2t files.
There is a modified version of DVD2AVI that converts transport stream to AVI:
DVD2AVI TrBarry Version
http://nic.dnsalias.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip
I have been working with the jy-hd10 mostly on Macs so perhaps sombody else on the board has more specifics on PC editing.
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the updates. I have used hdtvtompeg2 1.09 to convert the m2t files, but I am still new to the technology. I am afraid this conversion process will somehow degrade the picture quality and not immediately turn up in the editing process. Also, I would prefer to have the file in an uncompressed format, if possible, for editing quality purposes. Would a program like microcosm be helpful in this regard? By the way I spoke to Ulead about their intended support for HDV with their Mediastudio pro (v. 7), and they said they are still planning to release a module (possibly in the form of a plug-in) in the near future. A bit vague I know, but that is all they would say at this time.

Thanks

Dwight
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions