editing with a production monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 25th, 2003, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

editing with a production monitor

basic question.

how do you connect a production monitor to preview edits from Premiere (i use Aspect) or After Effects. I have a matrox parhelia graphics card, but can't get it to work. Then, I read you could output your edit to a camcorder and route it to the production monitor. Again, i can't figure it out.

anyone?

thanks
Josef Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Your Parhelia manual should explain how to turn the video cards overlay channel into a separate video output. We have found that the Parhelia does seem to prefer that the NTSC monitor be switch on before you startup your PC. When testing just use MediaPlayer with no other video windows open (or even minimized.) Aspect HD uses the overlay channel just like MediaPlayer, so if you can get work in MediaPlayer it will work with Aspect HD. After Effect doesn't use the overlay channel by default, but I believe Matrox has a driver for After Effects (I have never used it.) I didn't have a Parhelia at home, so can't easily advise you on its setup. Matrox's web site should provide the help you need.

With HDV you can't use Firewire for an external monitor preview. Technically it is possible but no one is doing that at HD resolutions yet.
Old December 26th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply, David.

Problem is, nothing but garbage shows up on the production monitor even with Windows Media Player. I've played with the settings in WMP and Matrox software. Nothing makes it work and Matrox support hasn't been much help.

I've reinstalled Matrox drivers, etc. Truth is, I have no idea what is the "overlay channel". I played around with downloading an updated DirectX (version 9), but haven't a clue even what this is.

any place one can read a tutorial about all this stuff?

thanks
Josef Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That doesn't sound too good. I guess the Matrox card could be bad, as you should get a good picture or black (depending on settings.) You shouldn't see garbage. The "Overlay channel" is the default hardware video playback window, you don't need to know about it. You probably need to get Matrox tech support on the phone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions