JVC HM DH30000U D-VHS Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #1
New Boot

JVC HM DH30000U D-VHS Recorder

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the other thread, but I figured it made more sense here.

I just bought this recorder from B&H - does anyone else have it? Mine came without the "fix" - I'm a little annoyed that they now expect me to ship it off to their service center (on my dime) and wait for their "backed-up" service center to get to it to fix and ship back to me.

My questions are this:
1) Does anyone even know what the "fix" fixes? - they said it had to do with playback.
2) What if I don't fix it and wait until I notice the problem (hoping to use it now to at least see how well it works with my HD1) - do you think that would have a negative effect on the player?
3) If any of you have gone thru the process - can you tell me how much it cost you to ship and what kind of packaging you put it in and how long it took them?
4) Finally - and this is just a frustrated question for random discussion - wouldn't JVC have saved time, money and most importantly, reputation by recalling all of the units from the retailers - fixing them and sending them back? - I bought this from a reputable dealer (B&H) this week (months after the fix was available) and wasn't even notified that there would be a problem (I just happened to find something on the internet about the serial numbers that were effected and a JVC customer support guy to contact).

Answers, thoughts?
Evan Malter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hmmm. I also bought this unit from B&H . I thought the "U" was the fix, but now I'm thinking I'm naive. How do you know you don't have the fix?

If I had a wishlist for fixes, the top item would be the menu.
Why must the menu exit the picture and appear on a grey background? It's really hard to decide which picture refinements are worth it if you can't see your adjustments until you exit the menu.

Also, get the demo DVHS tapes that are shipped to you when you register your unit. Both the Yes and Motley Crue concerts are pretty good at showing detail. The Crue concert is way too visually repetitive to be interesting even as a demo.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #3
New Boot

I emailed the serial numer to JVC customer support and they said that I need the fix.
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Evan,

Keep us up to date on what this "fix" is all about!

heath
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #5
New Boot

No response to a few messages left at the JVC Service center - i will report back when I get more info.
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought JVC 30K form Sears a month ago - good price - thought it would be good to show HD10 stuff. Worked great for a few days, then blocks - freezing - and intermittent audio. I sent it to JVC, and just got it back - BUMMER. Same thing - started out OK - then started getting worse. Twice, I pulled the AC plug, and everything reset OK. Just sitting there plugged in (not turned on) seems to degrade things. Now, that doesn't help anymore. I,m letting it sit unplugged over the weekend - see if that helps. Monday I'm contacting JVC. To be continued...
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I still think it's weird that all major outlets like Best Buy, etc., don't carry the deck.

heath
Old January 18th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Heath,
They do have a "floor sample" machine in out area, but they're selling them off cheap as it's sure to be discontinued soon. .the 40/k's out y'know!
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Hmmm...The girlfriend DOES want to go shopping, so maybe I'll check it out.

heath
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I checked out a 30000U at Circuit City before buying at B&H photo.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I would be seriously wary of these DVHS floor models. All of the TV stores show off their HD displays with high definition video piped from a common source. These HD programs are run all day,
and I'm sure that the "floor models" are probably the heavily employed HD units in the back room.
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

$400 at Sears.

heath
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #13
New Boot

I have no real update on the "fix" - I decided to just trust the customer service guy who was very helpful - and I shipped it off to the servoce center. I'll let you know if and when I hear anything more or get it back.

Just as a side note - I got a new one (the 30k) from B&H for $459 - I think the 40k is $629. I think it is probably worth the extra $60 to not get the floor model - Gints makes a good point about the floor model usage.
Old January 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #14
Major Player

I have never seen any of the sample units even hooked up. It's just that it's an old unit. Come to think of it, a unit that proved its mettle through heavy usage MIGHT be better...

I think all the major stores get their demo stuff over satellite.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions