Bitrate question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Bitrate question

Hi guys,

I have a quick question.
I dont really understand much about video encoding.
I have 2 hours worth of northern lights footage from canada. Used my XH A1 camera. Footage is ok in that its been able to capture the lights pretty well, theres lots of noise but I was sort of expecting that.

My question is, the M2t files are huge, I've been playing around with Alive HD converter and am stumped as to what settings to use.
Ive been playing around with settings to see filesize and have found lowest file size is obtained when using a lower bitrate like 2000, my questions is...what sort of a difference does bitrate make with such dark noisy footage.

I can't actually make out a difference between 1280 x 720 @ 8000bitrate and 720 x 480 @ bitrate 2000.

Could someone give me some advice? I want to retain as much quality as possible while keeping filesize fairly low.

Thanks!
Natalia Robba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #2

My I make the following suggestion:
There's a number of ways to reduce the black threshhold noise in your footage. IMHO, the best way would be to transcode your footage to Cineform DI. Once done, you can use FirstLight to drop the shadow level until the noise is all but gone, without dmaging the "good" pixels in your footage.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for your reply. However I'm not sure how to transcode to Cineform DI could you give me a little more info? I can't find anything about firstlight either on google :S

sorry!

Thanks!
Natalia
Natalia Robba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions