Vegas vs Premiere Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas vs Premiere Pro

I'm in a quandry. I need to upgrade to editing HD (or maybe HDV) on a budget! Vegas has been given as an option, as has Premiere Pro. I have a PC, obviously, and I'm going to be editing TV ads. My previous work is on Premiere and I have a really old version that's out of date and my files no longer work on. If I get the newest upgrade to Premiere Pro I can get it for cheaper (because it's an upgrade) and I'll be able to access my old files.

However, Premiere Pro has a tendency to force you to upgrade or the old files don't work which is frustrating. Does Vegas do this as well? Is Vegas that much better for HD editing (on commercial stuff)? Feel free to suggest other NLE's as well.

Also, I have Color Finesse 2 plug-in will that work for Vegas or will I have to download another version just for Vegas?

Thanks! You guys are awesome!
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, I don't think you can get "Premere Pro" but CS4 is the new version. It costs more than Vegas and has some nice tools from what I have been reading lately.

If you need access to stuff like After Effects, then Premiere is really worth a hard look. Vegas 9 (the newest version) has some amazing new features, but it's been pretty strong for the past few years.

If you will be collaborating with other folks who use other editors, Vegas can be somewhat tricky. Probably not something you'd need to worry over too much doing TV Ads, but more an issue for longer form work.

As for color finesse, I can't see that it does anything Vegas hasn't been doing for the past few years, so you won't need it.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. Color Finesse actually is a very expensive program that supposedly is much higher quality than any other color correction application...second only to Da Vinci color. It's billed as a "close second". I'd definitely like to keep it.

What are all the advantages over Vegas that CS4 has?
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Both are good systems, both will do what you want, I like Vegas and won't work on anything else but Vegas. It's a personal choice there are no advantages over one or the other your best bet would be to download the trail versions and see which one you like the most.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Vegas is not "that much better", and Adobe Encore is awesome.

I would definitely stick with Premier since you know it.

There is no real upside to you changing to Vegas.

I use Vegas, and I like it fine, BTW. Much more user friendly. But there are advantages to Premier and Encore.

Encore for example will render flash files. Encore also will make a flash movie for the web with menus that work like a DVD. Those may or may not be tools you need but I find them to be very cool.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 4th, 2009 at 03:38 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Grant View Post
Thanks. Color Finesse actually is a very expensive program...
True and it won't work in Vegas.

Quote:
... that supposedly is much higher quality than any other color correction application...second only to Da Vinci color. It's billed as a "close second". ...
Whoever told you this is delusional.

Quote:

I'd definitely like to keep it.
A good idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions