Handbrake- HD footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Handbrake- HD footage

Hi! I'm editing short films of a classical musical recital that was shot in HD. I have been given a dvd with all of the HD footage.
I want to bring it into final cut.
I assume I have to use a program like handbrake to isolate my footage.
Isn't that the right idea?
For the best quality what should my output settings be?
Right now, I'm going with AVI
video codec MPEG-4
Frame rate- same as source.

When people shoot on HD what do they usually shot onto ... in other words are they using a Dv tape or a chip or what?
Thanks
Katie
Katie Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Which version HD? HDV, AVCHD, P2, XDCAM, other?

DVD video or data DVD? What delivery medium? In short what is your source material and what needs to be your output format for what medium, BR, DVD, web?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You never want to actually edit MPEG 4 video. As far as I'm concerned, it is a delivery format only.

Like Harm asked, you need to find out what footage you're dealing with. The file extention won't tell you. MOV or AVI means almost nothing when it comes to editing formats.

Try and play the files in quicktime and go to window --> show movie inspector. This window should tell you the frame size and format of the video.

Also, don't use Handbrake for this job. Use MPEG Streamclip (Let me google that for you). It will give you many more output options including ProRes 422.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Harm Millaard;1173086]Which version HD? HDV, AVCHD, P2, XDCAM, other?

Hi Harm, I'll try to answer your questions with all the info I can give you...
Its a DVD video. When I pop it in, the DVD player comes up and it plays like that. It's not a data DVD. I'm still trying to figure out what it was shot on.
My output is primarily for the Web but I'd also like to put it on a DVD.
Thanks for your help,
Katie
Katie Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Trustee

Katie,

When the video DVD plays like that, it has got to be MPEG2-DVD as source. It has already been edited and compressed to put it on DVD. Therefore it has lost everything that may at one time have been related to HD, it is only SD now. Whether it has been shot in HD or 4K or 70 mm film is completely irrelevant, since burning it on DVD has lost all the original quality. No way to get that back. Editing that material will only make it worse, because it needs to be recompressed or encoded again, losing quality in the process.

You have two options, either get the original material or work with what you got and tell your client that the result will be even worse than what he delivered.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions