renaming MTS files??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

renaming MTS files???

Is it OK to rename your MTS files once you've transferred them to your computer? Like mountains1.MTS, mountains2.MTS, etc. Seems like it would make it easier to find in the future. Or is it better to just rename the folder containing the MTS files?
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Whatever capture program you are using should be able to for this for you. If I were to use PPro and use a batch capture I could specify each starting file name ("Name001.mts or date.35.mts) whatever you want. I dont use this I use HDV split which allows the same naming procedure. I would think this should be a standard feature of any software. Check your setup screens carefully before capturing.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Its OK to change the names of the footage as long as its before you put them into an NLE.

If you do it after putting them into a project the project will complain that it can't find the
files...

best to do the renaming during the capture .... use split scene option if you want to get
separated files...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'm using memory cards so no more capturing. Just file transfer. I know with the capture window in PP I would name the file there. I like these memory cards (HF-S100). Just pop in the card and move/copy to where ever.
David Merrill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions