Feedback on VideoGuys.com? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Tourist

Feedback on VideoGuys.com?

I am looking to buy a computer to edit on. So I am doing my research and I am came across the videoguys. Here is one of there Guides to build a computer.

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64

As I am doing my research, I am very careful on who is giving the advice. I notice that the videoguys sell different computer and editing products. I would rather hear advice from somebody who is using the products versus somebody trying to tell me to what to buy because they need to make a sale. Can I trust the Videoguys? Have you had any good or bad experiences with them? Do you recommend anybody else's advice to get the right specs on a computer?

Thank you,
Chad
Chad Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, they are "trusted sponsors" of this site so I have no real reason to doubt their integrity. But like you, I'm always suspicious of advice coming from those who stand to profit from it.

That being said, I've bought a few accessories over the years from them and there's never been the slightest hint of anything improper with them (even though they are based in NY ;->).
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Videoguys does not sell our DIY machines. We don't sell any computers. We just sell the video editing stuff.

We started building and publishing our DIY articles back in 2004 as a service to our customers and video editors all over the world. It is a cookbook you can use to build a top notch Video Editing Workstation. There are thousands of folks all over the world who have followed our guides and used our recommendations over the years.

Our DIY7 machine is running Adobe CS4, Avid Media Composer, Sony Vegas and all of the Windows based products we sell. It works GREAT. Many folks here on DV Info net are running on it, or machines based on it.

Gary
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Graves View Post
Can I trust the Videoguys?
You can trust any of the companies that are running banner ads here. I guarantee
it. VideoGuys have been a DV Info Net sponsor for years -- that says it all.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5

A little more about our DIY articles:

We do not sell the computers or the computer parts featured in our articles (ie motherboards, ram, cases). We only sell the video editing related stuff, of which graphics cards and external storage do overlap.

We build and test these machines to run the products we sell. We started doing this to reduce tech support calls. We offer free tech support on the products we sell, as well as a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Today our DIY articles actually create as much tech support calls as they save us. As folks call and ask us questions about the builds, if changes they plan on making will work, or when they can't find a specific part because it's no longer made.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Bettan; August 13th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Gary Bettan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #6

Our 30 day satisfaction guarantee is a money back guarantee. You don;t have to take a replacement prodcut if you do not want to. The line you refer to about getting a new 30 days is an additional benefit, not a loophole or double speak.

It goes back to the days of MJPEG & DV capture cards. Very often a customer would buy card "A" and could not get it working. The guy wanted to edit, 9 out of 10 times it was IRQ compatability issues. So we'd take back card "A", apply what you paid for it to card "B" and give you a fresh 30 days. This gave folks extra confidence to keep trying other cards until we found a solution that worked.

Thanks for the comment, I just gave the wording of our policy a look over, and made some changes:

We have FREE Tech Support and a 30-day money-back guarantee on all products we sell. If we can't help you get your video editing and production purchase working, you can return it for a refund or we can exchange it for a replacement or apply the value of the product you returned toward the purchase of a different product. If you choose to exchange your purchase, we give you a fresh 30 days to make it work!

I hope this better clarifies things for you and all potential customers.

Gary
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for the prompt, thorough and courteous response. I removed my posting after reading your reply. Glad to see you change the wording, you've certainly earned my future business and it will help your business too.
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Paul,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our website is improved as a result.

Gary
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Now THAT'S customer service!

I've not bought from Videoguys, but I've been impressed by how they actually seem to USE the gear they sell, which to me makes a BIG difference - if someone USES the gear, they aren't just selling you whatever is "hot" that week, they are selling you what they know actually WORKS, which is often the most important aspect of customer service!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I bought my first video editing card Pinnacle DV500 from Videoguys back in year 1999. I have talked to Gary on the phone with questions about the product. He was very professional. I'm sure you will be happy buying from Videoguys.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Major Player

I just bought a blu ray recorder from them and will be here on Monday.
Videoguys.com - Pioneer BDR-203 Mega Bundle with External Enclosure

Jun
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #12

Thanks to all for your support and business.

Gary
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

at the risk of piling on - in my interactions with them video guys have been super helpful with advice, good prices and excellent very ethical customer service. at least in my case they have always delivered what they promised and the products they sell and recommend have done just what they said. very pleased.

Greg Kiger
st louis
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Major Player

One problem with any web site giving advice is that the info gets outdated so fast. For example, today no one doing any type of video editing should buy smaller than a 1TB drive. Also, I don't believe the site mentions that higher density drives are faster.

An area of great interest today is the real world difference between an i7 system and a dual processor Xeon system. The price difference is huge. I've seen tests where the i7 system outperforms a dual Xeon system. Can any of the main editing suites really take advantage of a dual core system that can run 16 separate threads? I don't know, but this is a big question.

So while I believe the video guys computer building section is helpful, it doesn't have enough specific current information to be complete. Especially in the workstation v. PC area.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Trustee

I've purchased Avid Media Composer, G|Tech storage and some training DVD's from Videoguys. Everything was shipped promptly and w/o issue. I've talked to them twice over the phone. There is a "New York Accent" on the other side of the phone, but I grew up in Midtown Manhattan and lived in Brooklyn for five years, so it didn't scare me, LOL.

I like the idea of buying equipment and software from someone who actually configures and runs editing machines.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions