Virtualdub and transport stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 29th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Virtualdub and transport stream

Does anyone happen to know if there is a version of virtualdub that can handle transport stream, and if so can you provide me with a link.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

virtualdub can handle almost anything provided you install a video for windows compatible codec (not a windows media or directx filter)
The demo for Cineform Aspect HD installs such codec but unfortunately you are limited to decode only.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Giroud Francois : virtualdub can handle almost anything provided you install a video for windows compatible codec (not a windows media or directx filter)
The demo for Cineform Aspect HD installs such codec but unfortunately you are limited to decode only. -->>>

Are you talking about the demo only or the retail version of Cineform.

The retail version of Cineform ConnectHD (or Aspect) allows you to encode in the CFHD format in VirtualDub. Just choose CFHD compression on the Compression menu.

I assume you were talking about the demo being limited to decode only, but just wanted to make sure. The post could have been read both ways.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

yes , obviously if you pay for the full product, you can use it to play and encode. The nice part is you can still play with the demo, while there are lots of other codec able to read mpeg-ts.
Ulead, mainconcept, canopus, quicktime to name a few, but not all are compatible with the obsolete video for window standard.
If you are saving to another format it could be not a so big problem since you can encode to wmv9 from almost anything.
for that use, cineform would even be a bad idea since it uses his own format, while mainconcept (for example) is working directly with the mpeg-ts stream.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Dwight,

I assume you already know of VirtualDubmod?

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

I capture via PremierePro (using the Mainconcept MpegPro plugin) and I find that Virtualdubmod won't load the resulting transport streams.

However, if I remux them with RemuxTS (freeware, available at http://www.yamabe.org/soft/RemuxTS00229.zip) they'll load into VDubmod with no fuss whatsoever! And the remux is extremely fast....

(Obviously, as the others have pointed out, if you actually convert the transport stream into an avi then the stardard version of VDub can load the avi, but I don't think that was quite what you were wanting).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions. The thing is that I have the modified version and the mpeg version of virtualdub, but I was told that there was a version of virtualdub that could handle transport stream (or an addition to it that allowed it to do so). Maybe it was nothing more than an urban legend.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Trustee

I've not heard of a version that accepts .mts - if I come acrosss anything in the near future I'll post back here.

This topic prompted me to investigate a little further.... it seems that the remux I describe above converts the transport stream into a program stream (the filesize changes slightly). Which is why many programs (such as VDubmpg) can load the remuxed file.

When these program stream files are added to the Premiere timeline, they can be exported back to the JVC camera or deck without difficulty - Premiere does a brief "smart render" which I assume re-remuxes the files back to transport stream again before outputting them through the firewire port to the camera or deck.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Major Player

A free utility called hdtvtompeg2 (or hdtv2mpeg2 I'm not certain)can remove the ts (or m2t) packets from the stream leaving you with just a program stream. I really would like to have a capture utility that gives the option to capture in avi, mov, etc. other than just mpeg2 or m2t. As for virtualdub, I will also keep looking and let you know if I find anything.
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions