Virtual dub and m2t transport stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Virtual dub and m2t transport stream

Does anyone here know if there is a filter (or plug-in) that would allow Virtual Dub to read native transport stream files? I know there is a mod and an mpeg version of Virtual dub, but they do not read transport files, and I remember reading somewhere that there is a version that does.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Virtual dub and m2t transport stream

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : Does anyone here know if there is a filter (or plug-in) that would allow Virtual Dub to read native transport stream files? I know there is a mod and an mpeg version of Virtual dub, but they do not read transport files, and I remember reading somewhere that there is a version that does.

Thanks -->>>

Have you tried the simple work-around of changing the three letter file extension from *.m2t to *.mpg before attempting to load into Virtual Dub? It works for me with a lot of other programs......
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

No, but I many times I have noticed that that approach slows down the process considerably. I would rather have a dub version that deals with the native format.
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : No, but I many times I have noticed that that approach slows down the process considerably. I would rather have a dub version that deals with the native format. -->>>

Not sure I understand your meaning..... I'm assuming that you've changed the extension before loading into something like Premiere Pro or Vegas, but not tried with Virtual Dub?

Or, you're meaning that compared to working with other files (not HDV though) in Virtual Dub renamed m2t files are a lot slower?

Either way, you're working with the same m2t - no re-encoding takes place, so it's still the native file (m2t is an mpg variant)... it's just got a different extension, and the simple fact you're working with a vastly increased data rate is going to slow things dramatically - regardless of the extension tag....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Major Player

I've tried the changing m2t to .mpg approach but it didn't work when I tried it.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

I have tried the changing extension option with no luck. That is why I am looking for a more direct route via a filter or plugin for vd.

Thanks
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Major Player

There isn't anything yet, but you can do a couple steps. The problem is of right now the audio track.

You can download Virtual Dub MPG2 from:

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

But first you will turn the M2T into a MPG (transport to normal MPG) with HDTV2MPEG2. Problem is, I have not yet demuxed the audio from any Sony HDV files yet. I am sure once the cameras are out more than a month (far as I know they came in today alot of places) you will see updates or new programs come out.

The way I mentioned above is how I got some footage into VDub and played around with it.

ha, noted.
VVVV
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Kyle - Just to let you know - the official abbreviation of VirtualDub is "Vdub" - saves any embarrassing confusion :-)
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, I have been using the hdtvtompeg2 option, but I was hoping there was a vdub option (hint to the programmers out there:-).
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Video wise, you can use VDub. Audio, not yet.
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Sorry of the late reply, but Kyle how can I use Vdub for transport stream editing.
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #12
Major Player

4 posts above I posted a method. Give that a shot and post if there are any problems.
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #13
Major Player

HDTV2MPEG2's newest version now supports audio in Sony's M2T files. So you can import the a/v just fine into Virtual Dub MPEG2.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM   #14
Major Player

Kyle, there are several versions of HDTV2MPEG2 floating around. Which one are you referring to.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:40 PM   #15
Major Player

The latest verison, which is HDTVtoMPEG2 1.11 beta.

HDTVtoMPEG2 version history / changelog

1.11 Beta
NEW
- PID stripping support*
- MPEG-2 audio now supported when converting TS to MPEG-2
- Option to create sequential "clip" files**
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions